UltravioletPhotography

E. Ludwig Meritar 50mm f/2.9 for UV

Andrea B.

Here is a quick test showing the E. Ludwig Meritar 50mm f/2.9 is very good for UV photography.

Lens Mount [M42=Pentax Screwmount]

Lens Filter Size [35.5mm]

Lens Flange Focal Distance [45.45mm, Pentax]

My copy of the Meritar triplet is sharp at the center and is slightly soft at the periphery (which won't be evident from the cropped test photos).

It is made from aluminum and so has a nice light weight, but feels smooth and well-made. There is a retractable aperture preset ring which is a bit awkward to use. When rotated to f/2.9, you can focus via Live View in good light and then rotate back to the preset aperture.

The close-focus is about 3 feet.

There were at least 3 manufactured versions of the lens. The 'zebra' version and my plain version both have aperture preset. There is also a non-preset version.

Camera [Pentax K5-broadband]

Visible Light [f/8 for 1/320" @ ISO 160 in Sunlight with Baader UVIR-Block Filter]

The K5 has some pretty intense colours. I might need to dial them back a bit during conversion.

ludwigMeritar502.9UVSun_062114wf_024origpn.jpg

Ultraviolet Light [f/8 for 1/6" @ ISO 160 in Sunlight with Baader UV-Pass Filter]

ludwigMeritar502.9UVSun_062114wf_040origpn.jpg

Andrea,

Thanks for the test shots, I always said that the little Meritar was a decent lens for UV. The Meritar in Exakta mount was my go-to lens for a lot of my shots. A nice, inexpensive triplet lens available in Exakta and M42. Ludwig made two other 50/2.9 lenses, the Peronar and the Victar. I have versions of all three and can see no difference in UV.

Best regards,

Reed

I like the Meritar too.

I have the Peconar listed, but not the Victar so I'll include it in the next update.

Is there much difference between these three 50/2.9 lenses?