UltravioletPhotography

Sigma Foveon Rich Full Spectrum with a CPL

colinbm

Ah. Just like the Ektachrom EIR processed in E6 chemistry. Garish reds and deep blues.

I miss the Ektachrome IE of the late '60s ....

EIR was the last incarnation of Kodak's false-colour infrared films. It was intended to be processed in AR-5 chemistry, which virtually no labs offered at the time, thus the alternate processing in E-6 applied instead. Kodak stated the colours wouldn't be 'exact' in E-6, which was the understatement of all times. For a long-standing user of the older IE (2443) film, EIR was a severe shock treatment. I gave up after

Actually, not at all. Remember the trees reflect a lot of infrared, and that red couples to IR.

You might ask why the sky comes out blue? Just keep in mind azure (sky blue) has a lot of green in it, and that green is encoded blue.

Thanks everyone for looking & your comments.

The IR is basically reflected by the vegetation. The H2O in the sky, clouds & water will absorb the IR.

Interestingly the two of the Chinese girls are wearing black tops & one was wearing a dark blue top, two are wearing sun-glasses too :)

The water shots close to shore are helped by the CPL & IR, as the water was murky, but has turned out attractive.

Cheers

Col

That is correct Mikael

A Sigma Foveon camera, with a CPL to enrich the colours & cut glare etc.

After removing the IRC (hot mirror) you get approx 360-1100nm :)

Col

EIR was the last incarnation of Kodak's false-colour infrared films. It was intended to be processed in AR-5 chemistry, which virtually no labs offered at the time, thus the alternate processing in E-6 applied instead. Kodak stated the colours wouldn't be 'exact' in E-6, which was the understatement of all times. For a long-standing user of the older IE (2443) film, EIR was a severe shock treatment. I gave up after < 1 year.

Bjørn, I can not find too many examples of IE 2443 film shots - just few you posted over at NG (or whatever it is called now) some time ago. It would be very interesting to see a side-by side comparison of IE 2443 and EIR films.

Alas, this side comparison cannot be done, as the two films are disjunct in time. IE was discontinued before EIR occurred on the scene.

Suffice it to say that IE was extremely delicate and nuanced in its colour rendition whilst EIR looks like a grafitti artist with a limited number of spray cans had been at work.

That was my impression from few pictures of IE that I have seen. But I might have formulated my statement incorrectly.

Is there any chance to see two pictures, one shot with IE and one with EIR, which in your opinion can provide good comparison between the two films (similar subject, similar shooting conditions)?

I do realize it is impossible to make a proper comparison de novo.