UltravioletPhotography

Meyer-Optik Görlitz 35/4.5 Primagon for UV -- Test Delayed. Woops!

Andrea B.

Today I began to break in my broadband Pentax K5, trying to figure out the various settings necessary for good UV photography and to learn about some unfamiliar features. I did pretty well except when I forgot that I wasn't using a Nikon and reached "by feel" for something that wasn't there. It takes a little practice to develop another set of camera muscle-memories.

BTW, that K5 is a delight when it comes to white balance. I was able to obtain a white balance through a Baader-U which pleased me very much.

Anyway, I thought it would be nice to test the K5 UV settings with one of my fairly new (to me), as yet unused UV-capable lenses and so picked the Meyer-Optik 35/4.5 Primagon for the trial. A few frames into the shoot here is what happened.

Primagon in pieces.

DSC_0005.JPG

Yes, the front element and aperture detente ring with wavy washer fell right off. Never had that happen before! When I was setting up, I thought I had heard a little rattle in the lens but didn't think much of it. Silly me! Next time pay attention to Things Which Sound Loose and Rattle-y.

Fortunately there was no harm done. I took the opportunity to clean up the lens, put everything back together and all is well.

Tests of this Primagon will resume soon. :D

uh well.....actually I did have the Baader-U on it. My Baader-U filters see a lot of hard use. :D Not intentionally. But stuff happens, as they say.

You can get rather a lot of minor scratches on these filters and they still work just fine. Price of the dang things has gone up astronomically, so I really don't take chances with them. On the lens, off the lens and back into the case. Well, that's what I aim for. Sometimes it doesn't always happen.

I had to look the lens over carefully to make sure I wasn't removing any necessary lens grease while cleaning. But the area under the wavy washer was not an area needing grease as it doesn't move. Eclipse and hard-tipped swabs made things pretty again.