UltravioletPhotography

The lost diary of Dr. Livingstone

brianc1959

For the past half-decade or so I've had the great pleasure of working with Ken Boydston and Richard Chang of Megavision to help them develop a lens for their multi-spectral imaging system. This is used mainly by museums to document and archive early books and documents. The general term for this is "Cultural Heritage Imaging", and its an amazingly interesting field.

Although I'm not actively involved in any of the exciting imaging projects using the Megavision system (I'm just a lens supplier), I do get to hear about some incredible projects from time to time.

One example is the photographic analysis of David Livingstone's diary, which has been fading in storage for the last century and a half. Apparently he made ink out of berries, which hasn't held up well. Fortunately, through multispectral photography it is possible to restore documents like this to legibility.

As Ken recently wrote to me, "PBS is airing a National Geographic special on the rediscovery of the diaries and the technology employed that brought them back to life. We are delighted to have been a part of this fascinating project."

Showtime will be next Wednesday, 26 March (check for local times

http://www.pbs.org/w...s-episode/1103/)

Thanks Brian

But I am in Australia & I get this "We're sorry, but this video is not available in your region due to right restrictions" :D

Col

Thanks for the very interesting link, Brian.

I would love to be involved in photographic UV/IR documentation of old documents or paintings or such. So interesting!

And, Brian, welcome to UltravioletPhotography.com !! We are very pleased to have you here and look forward to your comments and input about various lens matters - or anything else you might like to talk about. :D

Thanks for the very interesting link, Brian.

I would love to be involved in photographic UV/IR documentation of old documents or paintings or such. So interesting!

And, Brian, welcome to UltravioletPhotography.com !! We are very pleased to have you here and look forward to your comments and input about various lens matters - or anything else you might like to talk about. :D

Thanks Andrea!

Brian,

I enjoyed the Lost Diary very much, thanks for sharing.

Kudos on your affiliation with Megavision, IMHO there lies the future.

- John

Brian,

I enjoyed the Lost Diary very much, thanks for sharing.

Kudos on your affiliation with Megavision, IMHO there lies the future.

- John

I was thinking that there lies the past!

I was thinking that there lies the past!

I suppose that all depends on whether one is talking about what one is looking at or how one is looking at it!

I especially like the modular approach more common in scientific systems.

I now know what I am going to ask Santa for next Christmas!

Under the tree: http://mega-vision.c...photography.jpg

In my stocking: http://mega-vision.com/images/icp/e2_i_header.jpg

HO HO HO