UltravioletPhotography

Spring was here - for a day !

Andrea B.

After months of colder than usual temps here in my part of the US -- which forced me to have to learn to wear sweaters (ugh!) indoors -- we finally had a beautiful, balmy day yesterday with temps reaching 70°F (21°C). So I hauled the winter weary old bones out for a spin through a local park with the Nikon Df and a couple of wides to start getting ready for spring UV shooting. Still many foot deep patches of snow in shady areas, but I did see a touch of green in the grass and lots of daffy shoots poking up. The sun felt so good even through my UV-protective sunscreen. :blink: Walking back up a long steep hill certainly gave me some reminders that I really did let it go this winter. Ouchie. Note to self: get a gym membership next winter. And actually go.

There's nothing like actual shooting to get one in shape for actual shooting. I had a lot of fun with a Sigma fisheye and a Nikon 28/2.0 on the Df. I like the Df. Have you all heard of the Slow Food movement - locally grown, home prepared, good food with no additives, fillers or artificial flavors? Well, the Nikon Df is like that -- it is a Slow Cam if you put it into fully manual mode. A Slooooow Cam. With everything needing to be set manually including lens focus, this Df slowed me down and made me think before shooting. Takes some getting used to!! I got a couple of keepers, but mostly played. And got a noseful of sneezy Witch Hazel pollen which lasted through the evening.

This taste of spring was short-lived. By tomorrow we will be back into the F20s (-6C). Oh well.

Bjørn and I are really pleased with the growth of UltravioletPhotography.com. We started it in order to have a place for our extensive collections of UV botanicals. However, we do hope to see many other UV contributions here. So please go shoot anything and everything non-floral and post it in UV Fauna, Forensics, People, Scapes or Open Informal so that we can see what stuff looks like in UV, ok?? Give your post a descriptive title for easy searches. Example: Catnip Mouse in UV. (Yes, I have that to contribute. :unsure:)

I am hoping to tweak the entry page of UVP by including some UV photographs. I know this can be done with the Invision software -- I just have to figure out how to do it. So if you arrive one day and see a messed up front page, it is just me experimenting with a set of reluctant software. Eventually I'll get it right and perhaps we can look a bit more like a photography website.

Cheers - Andrea B.

For a change the sun has been observed over here in my part of the world. So spring may arrive shortly. I even have had a go with the first Tussilago captures this season (presented in a separate post).

I concur with Andrea that the growth in our little UVP community has been beyond expectations and I am very pleased to see so many accomplished contributions from members all over the world.