UltravioletPhotography

Senecio aquaticus [Marsh Ragwort]

nfoto

Rørslett, B. 2013. Senecio aquaticus L. (Asteraceae). Marsh Ragwort. Flowers photographed in visible and ultraviolet light. http://www.ultraviol...-marsh-ragwort/

Senecio aquaticus L.

NO: Dikesvineblom

SE: Vattenstånds

DK: Vand-Brandbæger

FI: Ojavillakko

DE: Wasser-Greiskraut

EN: Marsh Ragwort

This is a perennial ragwort species of medium growth (up to 1 m in height), native to Europe and most often found in damp meadows or along rivers and lakes. It can be a significant component in reed (Phragmites australis) marshes. Sometimes it can occur as a weed on agricultural areas when soil moisture is slightly elevated. The overall distribition has a centre in Western coastal regions of Europe and it is quite uncommon in most of the Nordic countries, except for a section of the Western Norwegian coastline.

It is quite similar in habitus to the Common Ragwort (S. jacobea) and they can form hybrids. Such crossings appear to be rare mainly because these two differ in their ecology, S. jacobea prefering drier soils. Flowering is late in the season and usually commences in August.

Plant specimens collected and photographed outside Drammen, southern Norway, 18 Aug 2005.

SENE_AQU_B0508185066_VIS.jpg

Senecio aquaticus occurring in a coastal reed marsh. This is a prime habitat for the species. Note visiting pollinator. Nikon D2X, Micro-Nikkor 70-180 mm f/4.5-5.6 lens, daylight.

SENE_AQU_I0508189235_VIS.jpg

Image reference: SENE_AQU_I0508189235_VIS.jpg

Flower head. Visible light. Nikon D70 with UV-Nikkor 105 mm f/4.5 lens, daylight.

SENE_AQU_I0508189228_UV.jpg

Image reference: SENE_AQU_I0508189228_UV.jpg

Flower head. Ultraviolet light. Nikon D70, UV-Nikkor 105 mm f/4.5 lens, Baader U filter, SB-140 flash.

S. aquaticus features UV-reflective ray florets without basal UV marks, and very UV-dark disk flowers. Pollen is UV-dark as well. The disk flowers are densely covered with conical cells.

[published: 17 Jan 2013]