UltravioletPhotography

Artist's Palette in Death Valley

Andrea B.

Blum, A.G. (2013) Artist's Palette in Death Valley. Landscape photographed in ultraviolet, visible and infrared light. http://www.ultraviol...lley/#entry1336

Death Valley National Park, California, USA

28 February 2012

Landscape

Comment:

The colourful Artist's Palette of oxidized rock is seen along Artist's Drive in Death Valley National Park. The false colours of Artist's Palette in Ultraviolet and Infrared are equally as colourful as the Visible version.

Equipment [Nikon D300-broadband + Nikon 105mm f/4.5 UV-Nikkor]

Visible Light [f/11 for 1/500" @ ISO 200 in Sunlight with Baader UVIR-Block Filter]

After enlarging your browser, please click the foto to view it at a 1000 pixel width with framing.

artist\'sPalette1_Vis02282012deathValleyCA_21669proofFramed.jpg

Infrared Light [f/11 for 1/160" @ ISO 200 in Sunlight with B+W 092 IR-Pass Filter]

After enlarging your browser, please click the foto to view it at a 1000 pixel width with framing.

The IR false colours derive from my artistic interpretation of the scene.

artist\'sPalette1_092IR02282012deathValleyCA_21697proofFramed.jpg

Ultraviolet Light [f/11 for 1" @ ISO 200 in Sunlight with Baader UV-Pass Filter]

The ultraviolet version of the scene is darker overall.

The UV false colours derive from my artistic interpretation of the scene.

artist\'sPalette1_UVBaader02282012deathValleyCA_21681proofFramed.jpg

It is interesting to view the preceding scenes in black & white to see the differences in tonalities without the influence of visible colour or UVIR false colours.

For purposes of comparison, these B&W photos were converted in NX2, white balanced, slightly sharpened and desaturated. Then the black and white points were set in each photo using the LCH tool.

Were I to present these artistically, then I would no doubt add further edits involving highlight control, shadow lifts, local contrast enhancements and more complex sharpening techniques.

The Ultraviolet version certainly has overall darker tonalities in many areas than either the Visible or Infrared versions.

The Infrared version is not all that different from the Visible version in most areas.

Artist's Palette in Death Valley: Visible B&W

Enlarge your browser to view this foto at its maximum 800 pixel width.

artist\'sPalette1_Vis022812deathValleyCA_21662nx2BWv2_vis.jpg

Artist's Palette in Death Valley: Infrared B&W

artist\'sPalette1_092IR02282012deathValleyCA_21697nx2BW_ir092.jpg

Artist's Palette in Death Valley: Ultraviolet B&W

artist\'sPalette1_UVBaader02282012deathValleyCA_21685nx2BW_uv.jpg