UltravioletPhotography

Thelymitra antennifera [Rabbit Ears]

DaveO

Oldfield, D. 2013. Thelymitra antennifera (Lindl.) Hook.f. (Orchidaceae) Rabbit Ears. Flowers photographed in visible and ultraviolet light. http://www.ultraviol...ra-rabbit-ears/

Common Synonym

Lemon orchid

Maldon, Victoria, Australia

Gower road, Maldon Historic Reserve

5 October 2013

Wildflower

Comment

A distinctive common orchid which grows in colonies. The flowers, which open only in sunny weather, are fragrant and yellow with two prominent dark brown ear-like structures on the central column.

Visible Light: Pentax K-5 Full Spectrum Modification, Quartz 105 mm f/4.0 lens, Nikon SB-15 flash, 1/180 s @ f/16 ISO 200, B+W UV/IR Cut Filter.

post-28-0-32854600-1382603571.jpg

Image Reference: DO51452

Ultraviolet Light: Pentax K-5 Full Spectrum Modification, Quartz 105 mm f/4.0 lens, Nikon SB-14 flash, 1/180 s @ f/16 ISO 200, Baader UV-Pass Filter.

post-28-0-46943900-1382603613.jpg

Image Reference: DO51457

References:

Jones, D. & B. A Field Guide to the Native Orchids of Southern Australia, Bloomings Books, 2000, p. 247.

Atlas of Living Australia http://bie.ala.org.a...tra+antennifera

Published 24 October 2013

That will be a job for next year I think, if we are lucky enough to find some next year.

This flower is known as a Sun orchid as it needs sunlight (and warmth) to open, so how would I see the fluorescence if the flower closes up in the dark? and how should I do that out in "the bush"?

Good point.

I have managed the rare outdoors fluorescence shot by tenting around a flower and then covering myself and camera with a blanket for fairly reasonable "darkness". But it isn't a particularly easy thing to accomplish. There are commercial zippered shooting tents, but I'm not sure the ones I have seen are dark enough. They might need an extra covering. So it remains an interesting problem to solve for those interested in pursuing in situ floral fluorescence photographs.

Some flowers respond very, very quickly to changes in ambient illumination. Bjørn and I have both seen a flower turn to follow the sun in between a first visible shot and a second UV shot only some seconds later. :D

So it's possible that by the time tenting is set up, some flowers will have responded to darkness by beginning to close.