UltravioletPhotography

Thysanotus patersonii [Twining Fringe Lily]

DaveO

Oldfield, D. 2013. Thysanotus patersonii R. Brown (Asparagaceae) Twining Fringe Lily. Flowers photographed in visible and ultraviolet light. http://www.ultraviol...ng-fringe-lily/

Botanical Synonyms

Thysanotus patersoni orth. var. R. Br.

Thysanotus patersonii subsp. patersonii

Common Synonym

Twining Fringed Lily

Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia

Castlemaine Diggings National Heritage Park

11 October 2013

Wildflower

Comment

Twining Fringe Lily is the most wide ranging of Thysanotus, growing in all Australian States and is found in most habitats.

Visible Light: Pentax K-5 Full Spectrum Modification, Quartz 105 mm f/4.0 lens, SB-14 flash, 1/180 s @ f/16 ISO 200, B+W UV/IR Cut Filter.

post-28-0-59641100-1381482002.jpg

Image Reference: DO51528

Ultraviolet Light: Pentax K-5 Full Spectrum Modification, Quartz 105 mm f/4.0 lens, SB-14 flash, 1/180 s @ f/16 ISO 200, Baader UV-Pass Filter.

post-28-0-88422000-1381482052.jpg

Image Reference: DO51533

References:

Elliott W.R. and Jones, D.L. Encyclopaedia of Australian Plants suitable for cultivation, Lothian 2010 Volume 9, p. 293

Atlas of Living Australia http://bie.ala.org.a...us+patersonii#/

Edited 11 October 2013

Another surprise from down under ...

Based on the appearance of the foliage I suspect you have a blue colour cast here, so it might be worth its while to recheck and validate the colour balance here. This will not change the UV signature to any significant extent, more like adding some clarity and contrast to the final outcome.

Oops...

It's just possible there is a light leak problem there through the viewfinder as I think when I went to take the next shots (which I will post next) I found the right angle viewfinder in place rather than the viewfinder shutter. There are miles of these flowers around and it's only a short distance so I'll repeat the whole exercise.

Hi Dave,

Good to see some flowers from the other side of the globe!

As I’ve read in one of your earlier posts that you are using the UV 105/f4 lens that is sold here: http://ukaoptics.com/uvquartz.html

Is that image taken at the closest focussing distance? – Did you try extension tubes with that lens?

I’m curious how much better this lens can do compared to my EL-Nikkor enlarger lens. If I could find a reasonable deal for the Costal Optics or the UV-Nikkor it would probably be my first choice. However, good deals on the latter seem to be rare …

Best, Nico

Hi Nico,

We have some amazing flowers, especially when you look closer, as I'm sure you have found.

The UV 105/f4 lens is not built to do macro so I always use either extension tubes or a Novoflex bellows which works well. I was using the bellows for this shot.

The lens itself has a T2 mount so mine has a Pentax K adapter, but of course similar adapters are available for Nikon. The quartz lens is not colour corrected, as the distributor points out, so especially in visible light the results are much softer than with my Zeiss 100 mm macro Planar but it's not so noticeable in UV as the wavelength band transmitted by the Baader U filter is only 320 - 380 nm. There is a large focus shift between visible (where I look through a right angle finder) and the UV, where I use the Liveview facility on the Pentax K-5 which works very well, especially when the lens is wide open, then I have to remember to stop down before shooting.

However the transmission of the quartz lens goes down to about 250 nm (not that it matters below 320 nm where the filter cuts out) so I think more UV would get through than with the EL-Nikkor but how that would show up in the final images I can't say.

I couldn't find an old EL-Nikkor here which is why I went for the quartz lens.

Cheers,

Dave

I went out and took new photographs today, making sure I didn't stuff up as before with the UV image. I think it does look better and seems to have removed the blue haze.

Here's what the centre of the new UV image looks like at 100%

post-28-0-84671300-1381483672.jpg

Cheers,

Dave