UltravioletPhotography

Warning about retaining the dust shaker on converted DSLRs

Shane

If you are having a DSLR converted and want to retain the dust shaker then you may be crippling its IR or UV capability.

Some of the newer DSLRs (Nikon and Canon) use a two component ICF.

Outer component - which primarily serves as the "dust shaker", has also been found to exhibit a dischroic coating (some models). The purpose of the dichroic coating is to act as a hot mirror, blocking some UV and IR. Canon actually refers to this as the Low Pass Filter 1.

Inner coloured component - is an absorption glass used for colour correction and for blocking UV and IR. Canon refers to this as Low Pass Filter 2.

I know that the D7000 uses this system, but have not been able to find out about the D600 or D800 - would be nice to receive some samples to test. Andrea has kindly provided me with the D7000 ICF components which I will measure when the fall/winter rains move in.

Shane, thank you for the info.

We've known informally that there was some blocking going on in the dust shakers because why else would the conversion shops remove them? But we haven't yet seen any breakdown such as this about a dichroic layer and an absorption layer in the shaker/blocker glass. Well, I haven't anyway. :D So that is interesting that two types of UVIR blocking are going on.

I do recall somewhere way back early on that someone or two folks were disatisfied with their full spec conversions initially because the shaker glass had not been removed and so the UV exposures were not so great. Might have been Klaus? or Reed?

I do recall somewhere way back early on that someone or two folks were disatisfied with their full spec conversions initially because the shaker glass had not been removed and so the UV exposures were not so great. Might have been Klaus? or Reed?

That was Klaus (kds315). Optic Makario converts most of the cameras without sacrificing the dust shake function and even states that the Nikon cameras they convert won't lose Nikon's genuine warranty. He had them to convert his camera and found that the intact dust shaker blocks some UV.

I vaguely remember issues being mentioned about the dust shaker retention in the past. However, the issue was bought to the forefront during investigation into an extended H alpha conversion and a quick check of the UV DSLR sticky did not make any mention of this. Perhaps a "warning" note right after the warning about the IR LED shuter monitor might be appropriate..

I have edited the UV Stickies to mention the dust shaker removal in 4 places as follows. :D

• The Camera
    Newer cameras also frequently have a dust shaker mechanism containing glass which blocks some UVIR, so the dust shaker must be permanently removed during the mod.
  • Nikon or Nikon F-Mount with CMOS Sensor
    Also the dust shaker mechanism in newer models contains glass which acts as an UVIR blocking filter, so the dust shaker will be permanently removed during a modification.
  • Other DSLR or non-DSLR
    Note: As noted above, the dust shaker mechanism in most newer cameras contains glass which acts as an UVIR blocking filter, so the dust shaker will be permanently removed during a modification.
  • CAMERA MODIFICATION
    Reminder: Do not convert Nikon a D700, D3, D3S, D3X, D4. See above.
    Reminder: The dust shaker mechanism will be removed permanently. See above.