UltravioletPhotography

[Filter Test] Baader-U, B+W 403 + S8612, B+W 403 + BG39, Precision-U(old)

Andrea B.

I tested four UV-Pass filter options. This is different from the test of 4 filter options I ran recently and posted on Nikongear.com.

The subject was one of our classic UV-bullseye flowers - a Rudbeckia. These are grocery store Rudbeckias, so I don't know their genus/species although it is probably an R. hirta.

rudbeckiaSpVisSun_071813wf_13001origPN2.jpg

All fotos were converted in Photo Ninja using a D600 colour profile preset I created.

For the UV fotos:

White Balance was made on the same area of the photos. It isn't an exact science so you might reach other conclusions on the WB if you were doing it yourself. "-)

The Exposure, Highlights and Black sliders were applied as needed to adjust the histogram ends. This is primarily about setting the black & white points.

The Shadow slider was used as needed to lift the shadows a bit because the fotos were made in strong contrasty sunlight to gain maximum UV.

The Details slider was applied at the default 15 because it is awesome.

Default Photo Ninja sharpening and noise reduction were used.

Saturation was kept moderate.

In my typical workflow, after conversion in PN, these UV fotos would move to an editor for local edits dealing with shadows/highlights and refinement of sharpening and so forth.

But not today. This is enough to make the point that there are multiple options available for UV-Pass filters.

Equipment: D600-broadband + 105/4.5 UV-Nikkor + UV-Pass Filters + Sunshine

All fotos shot at f/11 and ISO 400.

Exposure times varied a bit because there were some clouds playing around with me

so we will just ignore exp times.

Some other day in non-changing light I might try to make a call as to which filter is "faster".

The key thing to note is that while there may be some variations in False Colour, each filter does record the UV signature of these Rudbeckias.

[1] B+W 403 & S8612 (1.75mm thick)

41629.jpg

[2] B+W 403 & B+W BG39

41623.jpg

[3] Precision-U: Old Version

41549.jpg

[4] Baader-U

41438.jpg

Hi Andrea,

Thanks for sharing the test! - Without own experience with the filters that you have used, it's hard to make meaningful guess. I currently own only the Baader U 2” as a UV-pass filter without serious IR leakage. Since I also have a different camera-lens combination and white-balance is certainly not 100% identical, it could be any of the four. Your second image 41623 could be the Baader, but as I said I wouldn’t bet on that …

I recently also read about a filter called “LUV U-2 52mm Camera Filter, 359WB53, 315-395nm” and that is occasionally sold by http://uviroptics.com/

Good to know that there are alternatives, especially with a slightly larger diameter.

Best, Nico