UltravioletPhotography

ID: Veronica ?

Alaun

Some tiny little flowers, I tried to find the name, some kind of Veronica perhaps but the Visible and UV pattern seems a little bit different to any I found here or on Wikipedia (German version).

Taken with modified Panasonic G2 (UV..IR), UV-Nikkor 105mm, at f11 with Baader- U, UV with flash modified Vivitar 285 (got a quartz window).

Place: On a wayside Bonn/Drachenfels 9.6.2013

PS: picture quality and colors are a bit lousy (edited on a laptop wilth Silky Pix)

post-21-0-22816500-1370796696.jpg

post-21-0-84923400-1370796704.jpg

and crops:

post-21-0-90732000-1370796716.jpg

post-21-0-30199100-1370796733.jpg

Looks like it might be a Veronica persica. A specific foto of the leaf usually helps with Veronica identification.

The example I have posted on the website looks the same in Visible light, but the upper petal in UV is a little darker than yours.

Here's the link: http://www.ultraviol...sian-speedwell/

An old study I made of V. persica has a flower with the UV-brighter upper petal - which is to the right in this foto. "-)

veronicaPersicaUV042007wf_40proofPn2ProofPnCrop.jpg

Found another one with the brighter upper petal.

Well, that is if we can decide which petal is really the "upper".

Here I seem to have posed the Veronica flower upside down. :)

IIRC, the narrowest petal is considered the "bottom" petal when looking at the way this zygomorphic flower actually grows in the sun.

I'm beginning to think my posted V. persica which I linked to above is an anomaly in UV with its darker upper petal.

veronicaPersicaUV031108wf_20627web.jpg

Hello Andrea,I had considered Veronica Persica, but was not shure, because of the different appearance of the upper petals, which were much brighter with the little flower I found. But the last picture of yours indicates at least also a little bit brighter appearance of the upper one (posed at the lower side). Next time I will try to get more from the leafes as well (though what I can see and compare looks rather similar). What had puzzled me as well was the "change of the bright" zone from the visual picture (lower petal) to the UV-Picture (upper petal).

It is not uncommon to see a white or light Visible area become UV-dark (absorbing)

and a darker Visible area become UV-bright (reflective) -- even within the same flower.

Many combinations and variations are possible.

I think these little Veronicas we have found are very pleasing for the way they "flip"

the Vis light/dark to UV dark/light on the upper & lower petals. :)

There can be variations in colouration within a species.

As we build the website here, I hope that we will eventually several examples of each species

so that we can illustrate some of the colour or pattern variations whether in Visible or in UV light.