UltravioletPhotography

Solar spectrum lens test - Sigma 30mm f2.8 EX DN MFT

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Dmitry,

Did you test the newer smooth barrel Art one or the old rough barrel one?

The smooth barrel one is the one that seems to be best for UV.

post-188-0-26480200-1590875788.jpg

post-188-0-64596000-1590875798.jpg

Bill De Jager
I thought the smooth barrel one was the original version. That's what I purchased before they were even called Art lenses.

I thought the smooth barrel one was the original version. That's what I purchased before they were even called Art lenses.

No this can get a little confusing.

The Sigma 30mm f2.8 DC lens designed for APS-C sensors only had two versions that I am aware of. The first was announced in 2012 with the rough focus barrel only for micro four thirds and sony E-mount.

The second was announced almost exactly 1 year later in 2013 for both micro four thirds and sony E-mount cameras. The only reported change was a linear AF motor. It has the smooth focus ring and is called DN art.

However, it seems there were optical changes not reported as the Art one is good for UV.

You may be thinking about the 30mm f1.4 lenses which have I think at least 3 versions now for DC format. I have the first one in four thirds mount.

As far as I know all 30mm f2.8 lens have been discontinued now. Too bad as its great for UV and Fuji never got one.

Bill De Jager
Thanks for the clarification. I had forgotten about the 2012 version. I have the 19mm, 30mm, and 60mm lenses for E mount and the 60mm for Micro Four Thirds, all smooth-barrel versions. None of these lenses say "Art" on them; some (but not all) reviews at the time indicated that they are Art lenses. I wasn't clear at the time of purchase that they are in that series. I purchased my copies used so I never saw the packaging or manuals.