UltravioletPhotography

Сomparison of UV filters, for lamp Exo-Terra Reptile UVB150.

Ninjin

I would like to show some testing:

I made this comparison of UV filters, - for to see the difference in transmission, for this lamp.

In the photo - one lamp for the terrarium, Exo-Terra Reptile UVB150, in total darkness.

Photo taken through diffraction grating (model 1000 lines, 52mm, Uviroptics), on the lens.

Filters - on the grating. Shield IR - 2mm S8612, used for all filters, except the stack MOON U.

Camera D7100. All equipment is motionless, and does not move at all (additionally fixed).

Lens Kuribayashi 35; A mode; 3,5.

White balance on the target PTFE. The background is cotton paper, with black printed markings. Top row - visible light.

The lamp has a special schedule, so for other types of lamps, the result may be very different, probably.

I use this lamp for flowers sometimes, so I just wanted to see the difference for filters, in the same conditions.

post-242-0-44176000-1554312941.jpg

Very cool images. But I am having a hard time figuring exactly how you shot this.

Is this correct.

Subject is white paper with grids.

Light is Exxo terra 150

On lens is S8612, then filter then grading. Or is it grading, S8612, then test filter?

I have almost exactly same setup and could test similar.

Evgeniya, Very nicely done!

As far as I know, Ulf may be the only other person that has UG2A 1mm, and also U-330 1mm ? Not sure about the rest...

What do you think, Ulf? Have you compared yours much yet?

Cadmium,

Thank you)

dabateman,

Yes, there is a grating on the lens, then a shield 8612, and then a test filter.

This is just a photo of the gradient of the lamp on the grating.

I put the light, almost like on this photo:

(Now there is daylight in the frame. I did testing in darkness.)

1 - The grating, just one on the table.

2 - Grating and filters on the lens.

Under the grating - the ring from the polarizing filter, this is just for ease of rotation. I fixed it with tape (no movement).

3 - With filter UG11. 4 - Without UV filter, visible.

Then by line of visible red color, I cut the frame - for remove the 'repeated UV gradient'.

Test just shows the difference in the transmission, I was interested about blue-violet for this lamp.

This lens is UV capable - so I see a 'green' on the end of UV gradient. If the lens is not very capable, the ending about 'yellow'.

If the lens is better than mine - perhaps the 'green' will be brighter/more, than in mine test, but I did not see it myself.

Blue-violet should be all the same, probably. I don't know for sure, just I guess.

post-242-0-02768400-1554374814.jpg

Evgenia, Very nicely done!

As far as I know, Ulf may be the only other person that has UG2A 1mm, and also U-330 1mm ? Not sure about the rest...

What do you think, Ulf? Have you compared yours much yet?

Steve, I only have the UG2A 1mm, not the rest. My U-330 is 2mm.

I have not tested any of the new filters yet, sorry.

Even if the spring has come, I have not had any peace of mind to go out in the nature with the camera testing filters.

A very dear family member has become sick, and I try to stay at home as much as possible with him.

Ulf, I'm sorry to hear about your family member.

I have not seen it referred to as 'foil-based', but this comes in a sheet, or roll, and is probably the same material used in the little slide mounted gratings you show and tested.

It is polyester film embossed with a holographic pattern.

Looks like the image Evgenia shows, and looks like this:

https://cdn.shopify....pg?v=1472084471

• 2 weeks later...

I ran a similar test today with my Exo-Terra Reptile UVB200. I found the sharp mercury lines to be helpful and a hindrance on the available filter range. The last sharp red line is 690nm, so doesn't really show IR leakage.

You can also use a Hallogen lamp, which I found to give a better full spectrum. Here in the US at a store called Target, you can get what looks like a hallogen bulb inside a glass A19 clear bulb, with E26 base. These are good because the inner Hallogen bulb is not uv coated. Carefully breaking or cutting the outer A19 bulb, preserving the contacts you can use this as a broad spectrum source. When I get back to a computer, I will show you the difference.

You may want to use a hallogen lamp as well to get an idea of the full range. Sadly I could not aligned the hallogen bulb to the camera position from the Exo terra. So you loose the tight calibrated 405nm, 435nm lines. But you gain all the colors.