UltravioletPhotography

I like soft lenses very much. I tried to shot UV with meniscus lens, but so far not purposefully. and so I didn't get any not bad pictures yet . It's in my immediate plans. But I have infrared images taken using meniscus lens. I was interested in the construction of meniscus lens some time ago. And I made a few those lenses at that time.

Must say that the infrared is much more suitable for shooting using meniscus lenses compared to the visible and even more so ultraviolet

Olympus e-420IR with B+W092 inside

post-237-0-73722300-1554225669.jpg

post-237-0-50732400-1554225750.jpg

post-237-0-14547300-1554225765.jpg

These photos look almost like they werre made with a pinhole. Interesting.

Interesting dreamlike images.

Sharpness is not always the key to that.

I tried something similar for UV with a plano convex lens made of fused silica.

Not an artistic image, just a test.

With that lens material the UV-cutoff wavelength can be similar to an UV-Nikkor 105mm

http://www.ultravioletphotography.com/content/index.php/topic/2992-infrared-block-broad-uv-and-visible-pass-filter/page__view__findpost__p__24022

Sometimes they can be found cheaply on eBay in various focal lengths.

Andy,

You may need to take apart and clean your Wollensak, or screw the two half tight. Mine is quite sharp.

Eka, these are quite dreamy. How did you setup your lens? Is it a single element in a housing? Or a purchased lens with a meniscus lenses?

Yes, it is a single element in a housing. I was taking apart old lenses. They were donors to both the housing and the meniscus. Thanks for the comment)

By the way today I tried to shoot UV with the meniscus lens out the window. it turned out well. I'll go out somewhere to shoot and then will show results from meniscus+UV

Andy Perrin
Dabateman, it’s a 70 year old lens...I don’t think my copy was ever sharp, and it’s a low F number lens anyway, so we are talking F1.5. Background would be out of focus regardless.

Andy,

Maybe I got a good copy. It was in mint condition in original box with original filter. It actually had a coating on one of the elements, third one in that I needed to polish off with cesium. Only after that was I able to get any UV through it.

So possibly a copy difference. Igoriginal, did rave about it, but I don't think its anything special.

Eka,

Interesting. Yes single fused silica elements are quite cheap off ebay. I may play with one, one day. But now that the flowers are blooming. I have been busy trying to take photos.

Thank you for the dreamy worlds.

Andy Perrin
Dabateman were you using it on a full frame or APS-C camera? Even mine is decently sharp in the middle, but if you have a smaller sensor that would explain it. Igor was on 4/3.

Andy,

I only seriously used it on a M43rds camera. It will work to cover the Df, but macro only. Should try an image or two.