UltravioletPhotography

A double rainbow

A double rainbow had been photographed. And it allows to see its interesting features in the invisible ranges of the spectrum. These properties are clear logically, but visually look very unusual. I mean the distances between the arcs in a different parts of the spectrum.

Olympus em5FS, Sigma 30mm, f2,8

QB21 3mm as conditionally visible

1/1600 s, iso 100

post-237-0-69936000-1553758115.jpg

ZWB2 2mm + QB21 3 mm

1/15 s, iso 800

can see blue, white and yellowish arcs

post-237-0-65037200-1553758215.jpg

ZWB2 2mm as conditionally "IR"

1/125 s, iso 200

post-237-0-29050800-1553758333.jpg

FS

1/3200, iso 100

post-237-0-93957200-1553758413.jpg

And combined picture for ease of comparison

post-237-0-55838800-1553758547.jpg

wikipedia:

In a primary rainbow, the arc show red on the other part and violet on the inner side. This rainbow is caused by light being redirected when entertainment a droplet of water, the reflected inside on the back of the droplet and refracted again when leaving it.

In a double rainbow, a second arc is seen outside the primary arc, and has the order of its colors reversed, with red on the inner side of the arc. This is caused by the light being reflected twice on the inside of the droplet before leaving it.

WiSi-Testpilot

Hello Eka,

that are very interesting picture of the rainbow.

But I enjoy the other pictures you have shown too.

Best regards,

Wilhelm

I understand why the distance between the first arch and the second one is greater in the ultraviolet spectrum compared to the infrared spectrum

post-237-0-33500600-1553770394.jpg

But I think about the reasons for the appearance of an additional yellowish band at the primary rainbow on the IR-image

post-237-0-17525300-1553771261.jpg

Maybe it's a supernumerary rainbow

like this

Olympus e-420IR with B+W 092 inside

f8, 1/60s, iso 100

post-237-0-24811500-1553771579.jpg

wikipedia

In certain circumstances, one or several narrow, faintly coloured bands can be seen bordering the violet edge of a rainbow; i.e., inside the primary bow or, much more rarely, outside the secondary. These extra bands are called supernumerary rainbows or supernumerary bands. The supernumerary bows are slightly detached from the main bow, become successively fainter along with their distance from it, and have pastel colours (consisting mainly of pink, purple and green hues) rather than the usual spectrum pattern. The effect becomes apparent when water droplets are involved that have a diameter of about 1 mm or less; the smaller the droplets are, the broader the supernumerary bands become, and the less saturated their colours.

That is amazing.

Yes I too have been waiting years to get a shot like that. I keep missing the rainbows and the one time I caught one, I didn't have my camera.

Andrea I think has also been trying. She has a post somewhere on here with a rainbow.

Excellent photos.

Great photos! And I'm thrilled to have a nice set like this on UVP.

We can record a larger bandwidth of IR with our converted cameras than we can for UV. Perhaps this explains the wider IR arc? Recordable IR is 400 nm wide, but recordable UV is - at most - 100 nm wide and we usually are capturing UV in only the interval 350-400 nm.

I have tried myself to capture UV/IR/FS rainbows, but have been much less successful. Typically, the rainbow does not last long enough to set up the gear and make multiple photos. Or I am somewhere away from my UV/IR gear when a rainbow occurs. Frustration! :D

Thank you very much! :)

I thought perhaps rainbows occur in my area more often

Yes, I did a search rainbow at the forum, i have seen. this topic? http://www.ultraviol...__fromsearch__1

And now I wonder why I have UV rainbow so bright on my picture. maybe I have something wrong with my filters .

I think the difference is due to different humidity and haze in the air, not due to your filters. The differently coloured bands are shifted in a proper way in your pictures.

This is the nature's own spectrometer in a way.

I like your pictures best.

The picture of thesupernumerary rainbow looks to have been taken with a full-spectrum camera without any filters from the colour of the leaves.

There is another UV-rainbow topic too:

http://www.ultravioletphotography.com/content/index.php/topic/2420-rainbow-in-uv-and-ir/page__hl__rainbow__fromsearch__1

Andy Perrin
Aren’t there always multiple bows, and it’s just a question of having enough contrast to discern them? The light doesn’t stop bouncing in the droplets after a single bounce at some times but not others.
Very nice indeed! I seldom see rainbows, and when I do I am not prepared... and when I am... woudn't you know, I just shot the best rainbow shot with no card...

Andrea, thank you very much! I am very glad you liked it! :)

Yes, probably.

That's true. it's always a disappointment when see a rainbow and the camera is not...

UlfW, oh, yeah, humidity and haze…. The air was very transparent when I took those pictures.

Thanks a lot!!

No, the shot of the supernumerary rainbow was taken by IR camera with B+W-092. It was cloudy and early evening, IR was low, so the share of the visible increased even more. and it gave so much color...

Andy Perrin, apparently, it's sometimes visible and sometimes not. What same complicated optical phenomenon this simple rainbow! It never even occurred to me before these pictures

Cadmium, thanks a lot! I also sometimes shoot without a card. but not rainbows :D