UltravioletPhotography

Menyanthes trifoliata [Bogbean]

nfoto

Rørslett, B. 2012. Menyanthes trifoliata L. (Menyanthaceae). Bogbean. Flowers photographed in visible and ultraviolet light. http://www.ultraviol...oliata-bogbean/

Menyanthes trifoliata L.

NO: Bukkeblad

SE: Vattenklöver

DK: Bukkeblad

FI: Raate

IS: Reiðingsgras

DE: Fieberklee

EN: Bogbean

A bog and wetland plant, the sole representative for the monotypic family Menyanthaceae, has a wide circum-polar boreal distribution and common in most of its expensive range. M. trifoliata prefers oligotrophic to mesotrophic bogs and fens, and also grows along lake margins. Due to its expansive rhizome the plant can develop into extended stands.

It flowers in late spring or early summer, depending on the altitude of the habitat. Flowers are clustered in open racemes to form erect inflorescences held well above the water surface. The corolla is densely covered with long bristles so the flowers appear to be fuzzy. Pollinators frequently visit the inflorescences.

Specimen photographed at Ulstein, Western Norway, 3 Jun, 2007.

MENY_TRI_I0706035168_VIS.jpg

[image reference: MENY_TRI_I0706035168_VIS.jpg]

Visible light: NIKON D200, UV-Nikkor 105 mm f/4.5 lens, Baader UV/IR Cut filter.

MENY_TRI_I0706035171_UV.jpg

[image reference: MENY_TRI_I0706035171_UV.jpg]

Ultraviolet light: NIKON D200, UV-Nikkor 105 mm f/4.5 lens, Baader U 2" (Venus) filter, daylight.

[Last updated 26 Dec 2012]