UltravioletPhotography

How do I sign up here?

Cadmium

Bjorn, you need to update this line, it is out of date, you at least accept Russians here now, right?

"Be aware that at present NO members will be accepted from the following countries: Russia, Belarus, Ukraine, Kazakhstan, China."

Wow... I don't know how some people do this?!

OK, I would normally, but I won't decrypt that email address below, because I don't want to get in trouble for doing so... but it took me a while.

but basically "registration" at this website with no html or www in front of it.

man oh man!

Please send your membership application request to the following email address (extract the actual address using simple logic that should pose no problem for a human):

<
registration
> at <
URL
of this site with the triple 'w' prefix removed>

Your membership application should include the following 5 things:

• Your name.
  • Your valid, primary email address.
  • A short description of your interest in UV photography and your relevant fields of expertise.
  • The screen name you wish to use on the forum. This can be your actual name if you like.
  • A declaration that you have read and agreed to the Forum Rules posted in this section: Membership and Forum Rules.
  • If you are a vendor of any kind of photographic equipment, we need to know about it. Vendor-members are permitted subject to the following rules: Vendor Policy.

We're getting a steady trickle of new applications. Thus the enigma you refer to is easily solvable by humans ....

The procedure has been quite effective over the years to restrict membership to those who should be members of UVP thus see no reason for any change.

However, use Birna instead of 'Bjørn' please. The latter name is now completely obsolete.

I tell people to come sign up here ALL the time, this is a GO TO sight, and they ask me, how do I do it?! I tried, I can't figure it out...

<
registration
> at <
URL
of this site with the triple 'w' prefix removed>

It is an email address. I am going to make a note on my desk top of the email so I can send that to people directly instead of figuring it out for people each time.

registration@ this place.

On the front page you will find the following. I can't make the explanation any simpler than this!

UVP Rules & Guidelines

Everything you need to know about Membership or posting Formal Presentations.

Privacy Policy.

Please read these Rules and Guidelines.

The url of this site is: ultravioletphotography com

Write registration in front of that.

EZPZ. B)

I blanked out the message about blocking. If there are problems later we will sort them out. I note that China and Russia may be blocked by their own countries under some circumstances. We have word that Russia is going to serve up the internet to its citizens thru government controlled servers. China and a few other countries already do this.

Kinda difficult to imagine that our obscure little enthusiast website would be blocked by some big ferocious country, but, hey, what do I know? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Andy Perrin

In my opinion, members who already have UV related contribution on other resources are accepted from any country.

While it it's impossible to know if (and if so, why) anyone has been blocked, I've never heard of anyone not being accepted here because of place of residence. It would not be in the usual spirit of scientific cooperation regardless of country that I think the mods subscribe to.

It is right there in the info, NO members will be accepted from Russia, Belarus, Ukraine, Kazakhstan, or China.

That is what it says, and if you are from one of those places, and you show up here, and read that... I suppose you just vary well might take that at face value and not go through the motion of application?

That text is confusing at this point to say the least.

Being a member here has nothing to do with related contribution on other resources.

I send people here most often because they don't know how to do the things that people talk about here.

Of course nonmembers can read all of this board freely, anyone can, and that is a very very good thing, because some boards will not let nonmembers read forums.

However, one of the big reasons people decide to sign up here, or anywhere, is because they have questions that they want to ask, and they can only do that by signing up.

The country list was not really on my mind, although it is confusing, and perhaps archaic at this juncture.

My only frustration was that it is not easy for people to find the sign up and application page.

There could be a little "Sign Up" button under the "Sign In", that is a fairly common place to look for a way to sign up, it could just link to the same signup/application page with the really cryptic email address.

You need to stand on your head and use a mirror to figure out that email deal.

EZPZ Lemon Squeezy, shazam and congratulations... you just signed up!

Andy Perrin
It is right there in the info, NO members will be accepted from Russia, Belarus, Ukraine, Kazakhstan, or China.

WAS there in the info...I think it's gone now.

As I said in Post #10, I blanked out the old message about blocking some countries. Years ago when we first began this website we had an episode where some really awful spam was being served up from our website by bad actors in certain countries. So we had a big cleanup and then some blocking for a while until we were sure things were working properly.

We are not a "Sign Up" website. We are, by design, an "Apply for Acceptance" website. FWIW, I don't decide. Birna and Admin decide. And the usage of a disguised email address is very common across the web. It was done originally to prevent spambots from flooding us with junk.

The world wide web is still a wild & wooly place. If anything, it is much worse than it used to be. I'm at this point surprised that we have not had more trouble. Nikongear is regularly spambotted with false members. We run a slightly tighter ship over here on UVP.

Up to you ;-) not me... just saying. Call it what you will, signup, application, whatever it is, it is hard to find.

It is not EZPZ Lemon Squeezy to find.

I tell people to come here to ask questions, then then they ask me, "How do I sign up apply?!"

I tell them, "I have no idea, it was not easy to figure out, I made a wall chart, but I lost it... hold on, I will go figure it out..."

an hour later I come back and give them directions.

But NOW, I have a little desk top mini wall chart I can copy/paste to people who want to ask questions on here.

So now I am set, but on the flip side of every person I give direction to, there are how many that don't find the place to apply?

I don't know the answer to that. I rather doubt that not making the application page obvious protect against anything.

Just saying... ;-) Done, nuff said.

Cannot be that hard to find -- we get 1-2 applications per week on an average.

Not every application is accepted. UVP is not a sign-up site and membership is not automatically granted to everyone.

That is nice to hear, Birna.

I absolutely meant no harm or offense in my remarks, they are only a suggestion based on my experience with people who ask me how and where to apply.

Your name. I meant no disrespect in calling you Bjorn. I usually call you Birna anymore.

You may want to edit your footer: "Bjørn Birna Rørslett, Ph.D."

Just remove the "Bjorn".

I will make sure I only call your Birna.

Sorry again.