UltravioletPhotography

UVF high speed - just for fun

I have been experimenting with UVF and tonic water for doing high speed (short duration) water splashes, in homage to Edgertons famous milk splash image. Unfortunately my two modified Metz flash guns don't seem to be able to go fast enough to freeze the liquid. The main difficulty apart from that is having to do the whole thing in the dark! I have thickened the tonic water with a small amount of Xanthan gum to make it react more like milk - maybe too much? Background is red perspex.

Technical details:

Nikon D800 with 105mm micro Nikkor. Two Metz 45 CT1 flash guns, modified by removing plastic window, and replacing with Kodak 18A Wood's Glass filters (there will be some IR coming through I think) Approx 1/10,000th second. Camera triggered by solenoid in "Splash Art" water dropper.

post-47-0-39570800-1551884681.jpg

post-47-0-73715900-1551884733.jpg

Funky. I wonder if the flash guns aren't the issue - as I understand it the fluorescence doesn't stop immediately when the flash fades. So if that's true, is the lifetime of the fluorescence causing the blur?
Andy Perrin
Yeah, might want to look up typical fluorescence lifetimes and see if they are in the same range. These are really cool though, as they stand!
  • 1 year later...