UltravioletPhotography

Does the Profoto A1 Emit a Full UV Spectrum

Zlieb43

Go to search, type in Profoto.

Looks like the Profoto has been talked about. Wasn't the conclusion of the people you talked to at the company that the flash tube has no coating?

But it looks like the flat glass in front of the flash might have some coating and may block UV.

So unless you can test the flash with/without that glass or find someone who knows then we don't know for sure.

The problem is identical to the one you asked about fluorescence photography before and only practical tests will tell if it is strong enough.

For UV photography with flash there is a need for much light.

Do not expect that a flash of that size will work for long distances between flash and motif.

The light decrease quickly with distance. (By the square of the distance).

Normally flash enhanced UV-photography with handheld flashes is used for macro with the flash only a few decimeters away from the motif.

For more light massif studio flashes like the ones Birna is using (1600Ws) are needed.

For UV photography you'll need a full spectrum converted camera and a suitable UV-pass filter like the Baader U.

I don't think he is doing UV, i think he is doing fluorescence.

You could get a Canon 199A for $20 +/- on eBay, and play with that without having to figure out if it will work.

I don't think he is doing UV, i think he is doing fluorescence.

I thought this was another line of questioning about UV photography as fluorescence already was covered in the original topic and he now asked

"Just need to know whether it is possible to be used for UV photography"

A Canon 199A with the front glass removed is an excellent comparison item for UV power as we know it's tube is not filtered.

I use one of my 199A flashes as a baseline to compare against, when experimenting with my Godox modifications.

Yeah, maybe you're right...

The answer for both is the same,

IF the flash emits good UV, then it can be used for both UVIVF and reflected UV.

If you use a full spectrum flash for reflected UV you don't need to filter it, just use it full spectrum. Filter the lens only.