UltravioletPhotography

Convoy S2+ Round Nose Pliers

Cadmium

Tools for removing/replacing glass/filter in the Convoy S2+:

The Convoy S2+ has a brass insert that has the LED mounted on the front of it, and this is removed from the rear of the head of the torch.

There is no front end access to remove the front glass/lens/filter, you have to remove the front head end, then remove the brass insert from the back of the head, then remove/replace the glass,

then put it all back together again. And don't forget to keep the front O-ring in the head, in front of the glass/filter, the O-ring is black, small, and hard to see.

Unfortunately, my usual standard lens spanner will not fit the Convoy for thus job.

Originally I was using some sharp pointed scissors to loosen and remove the brass insert. Someone also mentioned they used Snap Ring Pliers. I don't have any of those to try,

and there are many different sizes of those, so I would need to go look at some in person and see which size fits best.

That got me thinking about needle nose pliers, and I have many different styles of those, and quite a few of those worked well. My favorite, is called Round Nose Pliers, which are made in different sizes also,

so you would need the right tip size, but these I happen to have are small and work very nice for this task, and I will probably not be using the sharp tip scissors anymore now.

I will attach a pic of the round nose pliers later.

post-87-0-96048000-1550792992.jpg

post-87-0-97585300-1550793422.jpg

Yeah, I think what you are calling a caliper I am calling a spanner.

Regardless, the calipers I have don't fit, because the 'prongs' are too big around and prevent the tips from getting into the outer holes.

I never tried with the inner holes because I didn't want to accidentally take the brass housing apart.