UltravioletPhotography

Hello from BC Canada

cancington42

Cancington - well there are times when I'm lazy and shoot jpeg. I'm also not that proficient with post processing. Also Kolari are the ones talking 'straight from the camera' on their website - it would be good to know how achievable that is is a real world test.

Don't get me wrong, I am impressed with the end result, but it's a lot for a filter I wont be able to use for work, especially when I need to consider getting one over here in the UK.

Original Aerochrome was send away for processing if I remember right. It was then send away again to get printed, so definitely was not straight from the camera.

cancington42

You are calling the filter Aerochrome? Do you mean the 'IR Chrome', that you pre ordered and have now received?

yes, I am using the word Aerochrome and talking about the IR Chrome Kolari filter that emulates the Kodak Aerochrome look. considering Aerochrome film is no longer available, I kind of figured to just use the Aerochrome name as that aesthetic is what is achieved with this filter.

cancington42

Cancington - well there are times when I'm lazy and shoot jpeg. I'm also not that proficient with post processing. Also Kolari are the ones talking 'straight from the camera' on their website - it would be good to know how achievable that is is a real world test.

Don't get me wrong, I am impressed with the end result, but it's a lot for a filter I wont be able to use for work, especially when I need to consider getting one over here in the UK.

Original Aerochrome was send away for processing if I remember right. It was then send away again to get printed, so definitely was not straight from the camera.

I completely understand!! I'm working with Kolari specifically to share what this filter is capable of in comparison to their 550nm.

I did the test today using my Nikon D7200 with the Kolari Aerochrome filter, or IR Chrome...

what camera are you using??

with Nikon i'm able to adjust the colour profile within camera. here are the examples. all shot in camera JPG, no adjustments in the slightest other than scaling down to upload.

1 - flat

post-220-0-18181300-1552001311.jpg

2 - neutral

post-220-0-10166800-1552001323.jpg

3 - standard

post-220-0-90854700-1552001334.jpg

4 - vivid

post-220-0-99196700-1552001346.jpg

5 - custom vivid. full clarity, contrast, and saturation. with sharpening at 6.

post-220-0-55335500-1552001358.jpg

I think I pushed the custom vivid a bit too much in saturation, but I just wanted to show what in camera colour profiles are capable of, and that you are able to make adjustments with JPG to be able to customize the aesthetic of this filter to achieve 'straight from camera' results.

I still do think shooting in raw with infrared is the way to go to have full control over the development process with a raw converter, and even though shooting JPG with a custom colour profile is an option, you'll definitely get better results with raw. I do appreciate the simplicity of JPG though, and understand why that might be an important aspect to using this filter.

please tell me what you think!!

I still have to do the green fabric test!! it is on my mind, I just don't wear green, or have any fabric to try out. as soon as I find some, I will give it a try!! sorry for the delay for that test.

if anyone else has any other question, or would like me to run a test, please let me know!!

I had a photoshoot with a model yesterday, and will say that the IR Chrome is amazing!!! especially compared to the 550nm. i'm going to do some processing now and hopefully get some examples up soon. I will say that the 550nm filter without much adjustments has a completely different aesthetic that is also rather appealing for IR photography...

I am reminded of other stacks that have used KG glass also to simulate some version of EIR/Aerochrome film.

Here is Gary's Yellow #12 + XNite CC2stack. CC2 is Schott KG1 2mm.

http://www.ultravioletphotography.com/content/index.php/topic/2937-sony-a7r-uv-and-aerochrome-sim-black-eyed-susans/page__view__findpost__p__23254

Here Gary talks about CC2, and Kopp 7093. 7093 = Schott KG3.

http://www.ultravioletphotography.com/content/index.php/topic/3064-cir-with-12-yellow-590nm-filters/page__view__findpost__p__24823

Also there is the Lee #729 + KG3 stack, linked to by David, here:

https://next-eyes.blogspot.com/2018/11/my-history-re-inventing-digital-ir.html?m=1

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-W2XRtRTuCdc/XHBVpGpMK_I/AAAAAAAABwE/00gqZ98MFnc00o8PAba8AErMIBhGh9CUQCLcBGAs/s1600/port_SchKG3_SB_filter.jpg

All of which also have KG type glass involved in the stacks.

Welcome to this forum. It would be great if you posted you work with this filter in either the IR or filter sections of the site. I only just saw your IR chrome images and they do look great. What color shirt was your model wearing in you first image?

If your interested in IR, one of my favorite filters is the plastic FLD filter that is sometimes thrown in of free with lenses. I got a Digital 52mm fld as well for about $1. It pushes all green foliage into white and all other colors stay about normal. Its really cool to play with on a full spectrum converted camera. The custom white balance setting on my Em1 is also one of my favorite for uv images. Adds a nice blue tint, when using a Baader venus U filter.

Thanks Cancington. It's a surprise to me how much the image can be altered by changes within the camera settings, and that's good to know. I use a multispectral EOS 5DSR.

I'll bet there are many different kinds of cheap FLD filters on the market.

One of them is on its way to me.

I will measure and publish the graph when I gott it.

Nice Topic :)

Got a KG3 3mm & the (dark blue Lee #729) corrected: deep blue Lee#120 , WB with PhotoNinja on a greyish part of the clouds (D810 mod & UV-Nikkor):

post-21-0-26301100-1552152162.jpg

PS: car's red tail light stay red

Alaun, Thanks for that test! It is more reminiscent of the look I tend to get with B-410 alone, and a far cry from the examples posted here:

https://next-eyes.bl...tal-ir.html?m=1

Did you try the Lee #729 alone?

Actually 729 is suppose to look kind of aqua, not really dark blue...

Regardless, their may be a difference given the thickness of the KG3, we don't know what thickness was used in the examples on the link.

The KG I have, is also 3mm thick, and I don't even know which KG it is for sure.

I don't have any #729 yet. Thanks again for posting that.

Here is a graph of the difference between KG3 2mm and 3mm. T, Linear.

post-87-0-83211300-1552168937.jpg

AHHRG! I mixed them. Picture was taken with the Lee#120 which is Deep Blue.

But I also have the Lee#729, which is called Scuba Blue

I try to repeat it tomorrow.

OK, sounds good. Not sure how much the KG3 thickness will matter.

The Lee filter will probably matter a lot more.

Lee #120 and Lee #729:

http://www.leefilter...etails.html#120

http://www.leefilter...etails.html#729

Deep Blue #120

post-87-0-45467000-1552175783.jpg

Scuba Blue #729

post-87-0-92844200-1552175803.jpg

#729 on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lee-Filters-L729-Scuba-Blue-Lighting-Gel-Sheet-21-x-24/162303894314?hash=item25ca10e32a:g:26MAAOSw2xRYQCF9&frcectupt=true

Yes, the Lee filter matters. Quite a difference.

The #729 cuts a lot of the IR:

KG3 3mm & Lee#729, WB with PN:

post-21-0-56866000-1552233206.jpg

And then, without the KG3, only Lee#729, WB with PN:

post-21-0-31079900-1552233223.jpg

And for comparison, again only Lee#729, WB with PN and a little adjustment on brightness etc.:

post-21-0-59692400-1552233277.jpg

Wow, the KG3 stack really looks dark.

The 729 alone looks less orange and a little more pink/red than the 120 does, but still not quite the way David Twede shows on his blog.

Not sure which camera he is using.

Thanks again for testing that and posting these pics.