UltravioletPhotography

Flying squirrels fluoresce pink.

Andy Perrin

Flying squirrels fluoresce pink.

https://www.nature.c...s&sf206814799=1

The role of the hot pink fur is unknown, but the team say it could help the animals find — and perhaps impress — each other in low light. The pink fur pattern could also mimic the plumage of owls, which possess a similar secret glow, to confuse avian predators.

I have to say, that does not make much sense to me, since the squirrels do not carry around little Convoy torches to shine on each other.

The role of the hot pink fur is unknown, but the team say it could help the animals find — and perhaps impress — each other in low light. The pink fur pattern could also mimic the plumage of owls, which possess a similar secret glow, to confuse avian predators.

What can I say Andy......I agree with you completely. More than likely, just another case of coincidental fluorescence.

"Burma" rubies were regarded highly for their beautiful red colour which was due to their high chromium content and extremely low iron content resulting in an extremely strong red fluorescence in regular daylight (particularly blue light). Obviously the Burma ruby had deliberately evolved this way in order to be more attractive to humans than other types of ruby. :)