UltravioletPhotography

Profoto A1 for Canon

Zlieb43

Hi everyone! So I am relatively new here and had a question. I am looking at converting my Profoto A1 into a UV/Blacklight Flash and wanted to know to start, does the flash bulb inside have a UV Blocking Coating, because if so, there is my answer right off the bat haha. If not, can I use these two pieces of glass:

Hoya U-340 + Schott S8612 UV-Only

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hoya-U-340-Schott-S8612-UV-Only-Flash-Filter-Set-for-199A-Canon-Speedlite/292855507727?hash=item442f8c6b0f:g:Q2kAAOSwEppcC2pa:rk:4:pf:0

And put them into one of the magnetic mounts the flash has for the front of it, and will it will give me a true blacklight flash like if you conver the older Canon 199a. Does anyone have any idea? This is the message from the guy who makes the glass to convert the Canon 199a into a Blacklight flash, and he wanted me to run it by you guys first before initiating the order. I would appreciate it so much!

Here is a link also to the Profoto A1:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1357058-REG/profoto_901201_a1_studio_light_for.html

As well as the ring that magnetically snaps onto the front that I would be mounting the glass into (PS, I have already removed the glass from it so I just have an empty ring for now.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1357072-REG/profoto_101224_a1_wide_lens.html/pageID/accessory

The likelihood of the flash bulb having a UV coating is very high. My impression is most current designs do.

So would that make it near impossible to convert to a UV Flash? Or would I still be able to make something work with those pieces of glass?

This is why I wanted you to ask here, in case there is anyone who has experience using your flash for UV.

I can't even find a good photo of the bulb. Birna (Bjorn) is right, most will not emit UV because of the coating on the bulbs.

Some will, and some can have the bulbs replaced with uncoated bulbs, but unless you find someone who knows... then I would advise against buying filters for it.

There are ways to test it... but you probably are not set up for that.

This is why I wanted you to ask here, in case there is anyone who has experience using your flash for UV.

I can't even find a good photo of the bulb. Birna (Bjorn) is right, most will not emit UV because of the coating on the bulbs.

Some will, and some can have the bulbs replaced with uncoated bulbs, but unless you find someone who knows... then I would advise against buying filters for it.

There are ways to test it... but you probably are not set up for that.

I have a few places I can test it, what would I be looking for? And could I contact the company and ask to have it replaced by a non coated one possibly?

I have seen a few people on here who have similar flashes with similar flash tubes, so maybe some of them will advise, at least on what flash would be best, and maybe if your flash could be converted

using some non-coated bulb that would fit and work with your flash. Seems like Ulf and others were using some flash that had replaceable bulbs.

Anyone?

To test it, you could use a full spectrum camera, with a UV transmitting lens (not talking about fluorescence, which is visible), and a UV-only (UV-pass) filter on the lens.

That might give you an idea how much UV is emitted by the flash, if any. You could use a lower bandpass filter to test how deep the UV is.

But it would be best to compare that result with some other known UV-able flash...

So it becomes a mess... ;-) And you have to have all that stuff to do it.

And the other way to do it, is just to filter it, and see if it fluoresces things, but if it doesn't then...?

Best you can do is wait for someone else that might have a better idea about that flash and possible tube replacement...

Let me see if I can find that Ulf flash link I saw a while back.

Here is one link:

http://www.ultraviol...__fromsearch__1

Here is another:

http://www.ultraviol...h__1#entry18967

There are more topics that talk about the bulbs being replaced...

http://www.ultraviol...__fromsearch__1

Hmm, I thought I was helping you by pointing you to come here...

There are actually people here that know about this, but for some reason they are choosing to not talk.

Who knows...

If the flash bulb is replaceable and and a non-coated alternative can be installed, most issues are automatically sorted.

Is it possible to detach the front fresnel window to reveal the flash-tube itself?

I would expect that it is a straight flash tube buried in the mechanical structure and not easily exchanged.

Bigger flashes like the Godox AD200 and AD600 has socket mounted flash bulbs.

Then the Xenon flash-tube is much easier to replace with something suitable for UV-photography.

Ii it possible to detach the front fresnel window to reveal the flash-tube itself?

I would expect that it is a straight flash tube buried in the mechanical structure and not easily exchanged.

Bigger flashes like the Godox AD200 and AD600 has socket mounted flash bulbs.

Then the Xenon flash-tube is much easier to replace with something suitable for UV-photography.

It is possible, I shall check once I get home and see!

So I just talked to the profoto rep here, he said that a lot of the profoto bulbs in the larger lights have the UV coating, but he thinks that because the A1 has the front plate, that the bulb might not be coated and it might juts be that front filter. So maybe? Does anyone else own this one that can chime in?

Would be nice, but wishful thinking, and not confirmed.

Back to the question of taking it apart to see if the bulb is removable and replaceable...

Explore that.

Use the full feature editor (click 'more reply options' if the option isn't shown) ...

Then there is an opportunity to upload images and attach them to your post.

If you are able to take UV photos at the moment, just snap a photo of it in daylight. Should look dark or black if it blocks UV.

If you are able to take UV photos at the moment, just snap a photo of it in daylight. Should look dark or black if it blocks UV.

Do you mean just say take a normal photo with my camera and have that piece of glass in front of it, and it it does absorb uv it'll appear black?

I am trying to take photos like this and like with blacklight paint

But I want the flash to emit a blacklight flash, the camera can capture the blacklight that's emitted

On a side note, does anyone know how to use the canon 199a? I just bought one, it powers up fine, back illumination of buttons works fine but if I try the test button it doesn't work, did I buy a shot flash?