UltravioletPhotography

Tank 007 vs. Convoy S2+

otoien

I recently got a charger/battery bank for 18650 cells, and before I knew it I had also had a Convoy S2+ UV 365nm led flashlight, nichia 365UV on order from the Convoy shop at Ali Express, and conveniently an additional inexpensive 2mm thick ZWB2 filter that is an exact replacement for the original clear front glass of the convoy. This was to supplement my Tank007 TK-566 UV-LED which I have used for UVIVF with non-modified bodies so far. The latter already came with a filter as front glass. The suspicion from the following is strong that that is also a ZBW2 filter. I also have a separate ZBW1 filter that I have additionally been using on the Tank007 but I am thinking more and more that it is attenuating the UV too much with two filters. The following not so stringent comparison (lights handheld) is just used with the one that came with the Tank 007.

The rational for adding another UV LED light is that I have found that light painting where the flashlight is moved from side to side to fill in shades often gives a blurry impression. So may be it is better with two more stationary UV lights (with respect to the angle of light). A first practice on a real object is shown here: http://www.ultraviol...w-in-the-woods/

First test - the light distribution as detected by aiming the lights at a plastic surface that showed strong fluorescence similar to a piece of paper. There are no filters on the Nikon 1 AW1 with 11-27.5mm lens. Shutter speed ISO and aperture of course kept constant (f/5.61/160, ISO 160)

Tank 007

2018-12-26-2042W-8035-md.jpg.e5d052c612d4eec67ac82871b883cabb.jpg

Convoy S2+

2018-12-26-2039W-8033-md.jpg.118692eade6ad62fce697e8d7eb8c81c.jpg

The Convoy S2+ has likely at least 2x the total light output of the Tank 007, but exhibits a stronger hot spot vs the Tank 007, although some ring like light distribution is present in the Tank 007.

Now for the filtering, aiming the lights at an angle towards the AW1, the amount of detection by this sensor seems pretty similar and in the purple/violet (Tank 007 left, Convoy S2+ right).

2018-12-27-0318W-8036-md.jpg.3b7d05485e0600556d3debc7c3542075.jpg

To evaluate how much of this is in the visual range (I forgot to bring my Nikon L37 filter with me here which anyway is not too effective), the best I could do is to aim the lights using my 3M UV safety glasses as filter (they normally appears un-tinted, it is likely clear Polycarbonate). [Do we have any spectral data on Polycarbonate filters?] I only turned on the lights for a short moment, thus the crappy focusing.

2018-12-27-0322W-8038-md.jpg.c5ccc1b8eb4af0c7df7ed27c92b41210.jpg

Only a small violet spot is visible in both lights, not enough to light up any object. So the purple violet in the previous frame is likely UV emitted in the near visible range. The slight blue veil in the above frame was due to fluorescence of the polycarbonate in the the safety glasses, clearly visible if the lights where kept right up to the suface.

Now for a field test with the Convoy S2. White as snow it is said. The snow also reflects a lot of UV. (At one point I had not tightened my safety glasses well and when I directed the Convoy straight down towards the snow, the little UV sneaking in a the edge caused blue flourescence in my right eye, not very good and an "experiment" not to repeat!!). Captured with D7100 on tripod with the 300mm PF lens ( f/5.6, 10s ISO 800), whose modern coatings may help to attenuate UV light. Convoy held at about 1m distance:

2018-12-30-2245E-8018-md.jpg.e000b91365b84f7571c1b445f7c5b70e.jpg

The blue spots are birch seeds on the snow. The snow appears orange from the light pollution. My conclusion so far is that this combination of filtering will not cause bluing of scenes due to visible light leakage from the UV LED lights (would appear purple-violet). Nor does IR contamination affect the unmodified body used.

But wait, some very bright blue spots showed up - aliens hiding under the snow? :rolleyes:

2018-12-30-2236E-8011-md.jpg.40a93b9d8905fecee8ed5a2b5162d84a.jpg

( D7100 300PF f/5.6, 10s ISO 800)

Although I have not performed a controlled experiment with the dog I am taking care of right now, this is likely spots of dog pee fluorescence in the snow. :D

WARNING: The last batch of 8 Convoy S2+ Nichia 365nm are impossible to remove the LED housing to replace the clear lens with a filter.

Never had this problem before, all the others have been easy to unscrew, these are so tight I can't get them out.

A REAL problem.

Thanks for the warning although it worked out OK for me, I even did not have a proper tool, just the equivalent of a screwdriver, working on each side intermittently to get it loose. Perhaps the Convoy store had older/other stocks?

OK, got them out, but had to go find my cheapo lens spanners...

They REALLY have these in tight this time.

I am use to using my pointy scissors I have handy,. and I was afraid they would break, that was how much force I was putting on them...

I am still afraid most people may have a really impossible time getting these tight ones apart.

Yes, all the previous ones I have had come out really easy with my scissors...

People would need good deep spanners for these I have here now.

Yep, usually you could do the same like you describe with a screw driver.

I think they may be picking on me... just kidding.

OK, got them out, but had to go find my cheapo lens spanners...

They REALLY have these in tight this time.

I am use to using my pointy scissors I have handy,. and I was afraid they would break, that was how much force I was putting on them...

I am still afraid most people may have a really impossible time getting these tight ones apart.

Yes, all the previous ones I have had come out really easy with my scissors...

People would need good deep spanners for these I have here now.

Yep, usually you could do the same like you describe with a screw driver.

I think they may be picking on me... just kidding.

My tool ("equivalent of a screwdriver") was actually one pointy end of a heavy duty scissor (the other side not pointy enough). But it was sturdy enough to use considerable force.

I would be careful with polycarbonate. I think it was rated to cut at 380nm. As in zero transmission below that.

Also see this confusing website which I don't fully believe:

https://www.gsoptics...mission-curves/

My PMMA transmit down to 300nm, thus why I don't fully believe this site. But my PMMA may be a special clear type.

I believe this forum previously showed that polycarbonate safety glasses provided enough filtering to be safe. My own observation is that I cannot cause any fluorescence when aiming the UV light though the safety glasses. (This is opposed to my plastic lens reading glasses).

I use the same brand but the darker Orange ones.

Uvex S0360X Ultra-spec 2000 Safety glasses.

These ones block out all blue light. And were once cheaper on Amazon. Now it looks like Cadmium's link is cheaper.