UltravioletPhotography

Technical information: imaging at 248 nm with Olympus microscope

enricosavazzi

enricosavazzi

This is "good to know that such things exist" technical information about Olympus microscopy equipment for imaging at 248 nm. The main purpose of this equipment seems to be imaging of semiconductor wafers at resolutions beyond those possible with VIS light.

http://www.olympusca...%20Brochure.pdf

Some points gleaned from the brochure:

• This equipment is for incident axial illumination of specimens, not transmitted illumination.
  • The light source uses an 80 W mercury-xenon bulb.
  • The bulb housing appears to be a standard Olympus part, but in this case it is mounted separately from the microscope and connected to the illumination module by a liquid light guide, probably to eliminate vibration sources.
  • The illumination and imaging module mounts below the tube lens (and therefore eliminates the need to use a special tube lens) but on top of a VIS axial illuminator. Presumably the VIS illuminator must be used with its beam splitter or fluorescence cube out of the imaging path, so simultaneous VIS and UVC illumination is likely not possible (except with VIS emitted by the xenon-mercury bulb). Simultaneous DUV imaging and DUV-excited VIS fluorescence observation and imaging might in principle be possible.
  • The objectives have no cemented elements. We already know one reason for this. An additional reason in this case is that optical cement degrades quickly at these wavelengths.
  • There is virtually no information about the DUV camera.

• 2 years later...

Holy thread resurrection Batman. Found out about this setup yesterday while I was having a search around the interweb. Should have checked on here first....

If you had 50000 laying around I guess you could just buy a MX61. But you would still need the conversion kit and the objectives.  The objectives are 5000 each I think.

So yes with over 100000, you can buy almost anything. 

2 hours ago, dabateman said:

If you had 50000 laying around I guess you could just buy a MX61. But you would still need the conversion kit and the objectives.  The objectives are 5000 each I think.

So yes with over 100000, you can buy almost anything. 

Yeah, not won the lottery yet, so it'll have to wait for now. Was just interested to read about it.

I want someone on this board to win the actual lottery so that we can see all the awesome goodies they buy. “Got a microwave radiometer this week, check out the pics!”

5 hours ago, Andy Perrin said:

I want someone on this board to win the actual lottery so that we can see all the awesome goodies they buy. “Got a microwave radiometer this week, check out the pics!”

That's one of my dreams, a microwave camera.

lukaszgryglicki

Resolution would be poor - wavelengths are in centimetre range. So portraits are rather? out of scope, but landscapes should be fine.