UltravioletPhotography

Distraction from Reality

Andrea B.

These pumpkins are hilariously big. I think they really do need to be photographed in UV!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/voraciously/wp/2018/10/10/here-are-some-photos-of-gigantic-pumpkins-for-no-other-reason-than-to-distract-you-from-reality/?utm_term=.439e0c257f3a

(Given the current explosive state of the Un-united States of Political Mayhem in which I find myself, these monsters are indeed quite a welcome distraction. But I'd better stop because I'm in danger of digressing into forbidden territory. 'Scuse me!)

I seem to recall that pumpkins are shiny and black in UV (at least the exteriors.) If you carve them and put a magnesium flare on the inside, you might fashion a UV-o-lantern of sorts.

We have no pumpkins here today, best I could find is this old Kuribayashi 35mm/Baader U/199A flash shot of gourds.

post-87-0-96369400-1540494884.jpg

And this one (not a flash shot, I don't think). Kuribayashi 35mm/LUV U.

post-87-0-73838200-1540496027.jpg

The UV purple and black combined with the twisty gourd shapes is very Halloween-ish!

Names differ throughout the world, but in the United States, any round, orange squash used for pies or jack-o-lanterns is likely to be called a pumpkin.

But the term “pumpkin” really has no botanical meaning, as they are actually all squash.

From

What is the difference between pumpkins, squashes and gourds?

http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/gardens-gardening/your-garden/help-for-the-home-gardener/advice-tips-resources/gardening-help-faqs/questionid/274/afmid/4462.aspx

I didn't know the difference and had to find out.

Out of curiosity also, I had to go look up the English etymology.

pumpkin

1640s, alteration of pompone, pumpion "melon, pumpkin" (1540s),

from Middle French pompon,

from Latin peponem (nominative pepo) "melon,"

from Greek pepon "melon," probably originally "cooked (by the sun)," hence "ripe;"

from [Greek] peptein "to cook"

from Proto-Indo-European root *pekw- "to cook, ripen".

squash

gourd fruit, 1640s,

shortened borrowing from Narraganset (Algonquian) askutasquash,

literally "the things that may be eaten raw,"

from askut "green, raw, uncooked" + asquash "eaten," in which the -ash is a plural affix

The Narraganset are a Native American group.

Huh, interesting that here in New England, where squash is evidently the local term (the Narraganset are just south of me, in Rhode Island), we in fact use pumpkin to refer to a subset of round orange and (lately) white squash species and "squash" for the rest of the edible ones. "Gourd" is used for the non-edible species.