UltravioletPhotography

These were shot back in August with a newly converted Sony a7R with a vintage 50mm f1.8 Nikkor + yellow #12 filter, then processed in Sony EDIT, for Aerochrome colors. I noticed some minor dust particles in this conversion, and ended up sending the camera back for a re-do. I think I was spoiled by the Sigma, with it's removable hot-mirror filter, but I guess some dust particles are to be expected, even with Class 100 clean room facilities. If the upcoming ff Sigma (leica mount version) continues to incorporate the same user-removable hot-mirror design, I may consider that in the future. In the meantime, I'm looking forward to the a7R when it arrives.

post-189-0-55339500-1539791916.jpg

post-189-0-89755700-1539791955.jpg

post-189-0-39372300-1539791971.jpg

post-189-0-36467700-1539791996.jpg

post-189-0-50747600-1539792009.jpg

Same size as the m43 Olympus M1

post-189-0-76039000-1539792022.jpg

Admin: edited title to reflect this is about a Sony, not Sigma, camera.

Thanks Cadmium. I appreciate that! I must have sensed the arrival of my a7R, because it arrived later that afternoon. A few clear sky test shots, reveal that there are still a couple visible dust particles at f8. You'd only see them in clear sky or blank wall, but they are there. Changed lenses, and specks are recorded in the exact same spot, so I suspect that it's trapped sensor dust. It was a fun camera while it lasted, but I don't really want to contact Dan for the third time. I'll either use it occasionally at f1.8, or may opt to sell it 'as-is.

50mm Nikkor f1.8

post-189-0-61594700-1539870337.jpg

50mm Nikkor f8

post-189-0-85238200-1539870347.jpg

50mm Nikkor f22 (just for clarity)

post-189-0-10993500-1539870666.jpg

Gary, was this a MaxMax conversion or a Monochrome Imaging conversion?

Also, are you sure the dust is under the cover glass rather than on it? Sometimes dust can be "sticky". So I'd at least try a sensor swab or a blowout to see if you can remove it.

The nice thing about the A7R is that it is very easy to see whether the sensor cover needs cleaning or a blowout. :D

The not so great thing about the A7R is that every time you remove a lens or the body cap, the sensor cover is so close to the mount opening that it becomes a giant dust magnet. :(

Let me know. And thank you.

Gary, was this a MaxMax conversion or a Monochrome Imaging conversion?

Also, are you sure the dust is under the cover glass rather than on it? Sometimes dust can be "sticky". So I'd at least try a sensor swab or a blowout to see if you can remove it.

The nice thing about the A7R is that it is very easy to see whether the sensor cover needs cleaning or a blowout. :D

The not so great thing about the A7R is that every time you remove a lens or the body cap, the sensor cover is so close to the mount opening that it becomes a giant dust magnet. :(

Let me know. And thank you.

Hi Andrea,

It was standard UV-VIS-IR MaxMax conversion.

You're right, the a7R sensor is a super dust magnet, but I don't see any obvious flecks. I gave it good Giotto blowout, then a swipe with 99.9% isopropyl alcohol, then another blowout. The lower left fleck has disappeared, but the upper right spot persists. Tried it again, and the upper right spot appears to be permanent. It's not visible at f1.8, and becomes a solid black spot at f22.

Gorgeous photos here! I especially like the grave statue with the heart. It fits the color scheme of the aerochrome.

Thanks Andy! My first try with a standard red/blue channel mixer swap, didn't seem to match the colors I used to get with EIR 35mm film. For these I set a CWB on gray, then tweaked the colors in Sony EDIT and finished with PS processing.

At the risk of pointing out the obvious, shouldn't the title of this thread be "Sony a7R Aerochrome"?

Right you are - edited title

Gary, I'm happy to hear that one of the pesky blobs was removable. Try again on the other maybe?? Sometimes it takes a lot to remove these things. Don't scrub, of course. Just the usual gentle swabbing. If you look at the surface with a flashlight, sometimes you can determine whether the spot is on the surface or under it. Be careful though not to slam your eyes with reflections off the cover glass. (Don't ask me how many times I've accidently done this!!!)

I'm always suprised by the yellow in Aerochromes. So cool.

I am curious what the Sony software you used for this is. Is it part of the Imaging Edge package?

Yes it is the 'Edit' app, in the Image Edge package. Using CWB (on gray) with a yellow #12 filter, results in deep blue/purple foliage and slightly reddish skin tones. The main adjustment in Sony 'Edit' is in the Color menu. I move the Hue slider to 100% and the Saturation to 20%. At that point the blue foliage is closer to Aerochrome red, and skin tones, take on a yellow-green hue. The rest is just a matter of tweaks in PS.

I'd like to play around with one of these raw files in Silkypix to see what could emerge there. Any chance of putting say the ivy or sunflower raw images up on Dropbox?

At the risk of pointing out the obvious, shouldn't the title of this thread be "Sony a7R Aerochrome"?

Thanks Enrico...Sony / Sigma dyslexia on my part.

I'd like to play around with one of these raw files in Silkypix to see what could emerge there. Any chance of putting say the ivy or sunflower raw images up on Dropbox?

No problem Birna. I'll do that later today.

• 3 weeks later...

An update on the a7R sensor dust saga...

After a few tries with Q-tips and 99.9% isopropyl alcohol, the particle was definitely trapped between the glass and sensor.

The thought of having to clone out a spot, for every sky shot at f8 wasn't appealing, so I decided to contact another conversion service (Kolarivision). They mentioned the 'astro naked sensor' conversion, in which the sensor is re-calibrated for normal focus, without any glass over the sensor. Long story, short, I sent the a7R to Kolarivision, they did it in one day, and now it's back without any dust or focus issues. :)

Gary, thank you for that update. I'm happy to hear that Kolari Vision came through for you.