UltravioletPhotography

Hello from the UK

craigg

HI There

My name is Craig. I've just had my old Nikon D3100 DSLR converted to Full Spectrum.

I'm a paranormal investigator and wanted to use the camera for 2 purposes :

1. To take photos with my IR lighting of alleged haunted locations.

2. To take UV photos of alleged haunted properties and landscapes, as the UV photos look very atmospheric.

My first problem has been finding somewhere to purchase a UV bandpass filter 52mm. Anyone got any recommendations? Kolari is out of stock...

Also any recommendations for resources on 'how to' as I'm a total beginner to this world!

All the best

Craig

Welcome to the UVP community.

Our members should be able to provide lots of practical advice on the shooting side of the affair. Not sure about the paranormal aspects, though.

You might want to look into some of the more general oversights first. Your camera is very similar to the D3200 used by several members, yours truly inclusive.

Hi Craig and Welcome to UVP!

It would be very cool to see some of your paranormal work. So I hope you'll post something. Sure, some of us may be skeptics, but such investigations are always interesting.

The Kolari UV bandpass filter is very good, but does have a lower transmission rate. So I recommend that you look at two places (in alphabetical order): Uviroptics (reputable Ebay filter glass vendor) and UVR Optics (reputable website for dichroic UV-bandpass filters). The only other possibility besides those two is the BaaderU UV-bandpass filter which is quite expensive. We currently cannot recommend other Ebay vendors of ZBW glass because of its dubious quality.

More about filters here:

Sticky :: UV/Vis/IR Filters

And also click the search tag Filters.

Because there is no UV light at night you are probably going to need a UV-flashlight of some type.

Click the UV Lighting search tag to find out more about UV flashlights/flashes.

The Convoy UV flashlight is the current low-priced favorite here. Great UV torch!

Below is a list of all our write-ups on UV photography and gear. I would suggest reading through the two bold, black links below. Those will give you the basics. Then you can ask any follow-up questions in the Tech section of the forum. We are always happy to answer questions. Although sometimes it takes a day or two for the answers to be posted. (Most members have job and research committments.)

UV and Your Eyes :: UV Safety Reference

Xenon Strobe and Flash Safety Hints

Sticky :: UV Photography: Cams, Mods, Lights, Links

How to make a UV photograph

Sticky :: UV-Capable Lenses

Sticky :: UV/Vis/IR Filters

How to use filters for UV photography

Sticky :: White Balance in UV/IR Photography

How to make UV colours reproducible

Sticky :: UV Induced Visible Fluorescence

Sticky :: IR Photography: Cams, Mods, Lenses, Lights, Links

[iNDEX] Tag & Subject Search Links

Because there is no UV light at night you are probably going to need a UV-flashlight of some type.

Click the UV Lighting search tag to find out more about UV flashlights/flashes.

The Conway UV flashlight is the current low-priced favorite here. Great UV torch!

Typo there, should be Convoy.

I was thinking, night photos in UV for ghost hunting would have to be by flash, unless they are just to establish the scene beforehand. Any ghosts, should they exist, will not sit around waiting for a human to paint them with the Convoy, unless they have a sense of humor.