UltravioletPhotography

UVF Tonic Water: High speed flash - red highlight

Adrian

I wonder if anyone might have any ideas on this please? I have been shooting some short duration flash images for a new book, of tonic water being poured into a glass.

Every image has a red catchlight, whatever the position of the flashes, even those shot without the pouring.

Technical details:

2 x Metz 45CT1 flash guns with UV absorbing window removed, and replaced with one half of an old Kodak 18A "Wood's Glass" filter (I have checked, this is light tight)

Camera: Nikon D800 with 105mm micro-Nikkor. 1/160th @ f/11. Flash duration approx. 1/2,000th second.

Thanks for looking!

post-47-0-36718700-1537456217.jpg

Make sure these D800 settings are OFF.

• Custom Setting Menu > a Autofocus > Focus point illumination
  • Custom Setting Menu > a Autofocus > Built-in AF-assist illuminator

I know you are probably not using autofocus. I was just trying to find all sources of camera light which might interfere with the image.

Also, sometimes light leaks through the viewfinder. Close the viewfinder shutter after you have set up the shot.

Are you using a flash? Some flashes have little "ready" lights which you might need to block.

I want to see the tonic water splash dramatically !!!! :lol:

Thank you for your replies. I think I have sorted the problem of the red catchlight - a tiny hole in the tape holding the 18A filter onto the flash.

Andrea, my main objective is to recreate Harold Edgerton's famous milk splash image in high speed UV. Not sure if the Metz flash guns can go fast enough. I will keep you posted!

• 3 years later...