UltravioletPhotography

UV and IR images at 3048m above sea level

Myself and my wife have just come back from a few days in the Alps, and while we were there we visited the Elements 007 Cinematic experience at Solden, in Austria (well recommend visiting by the way) where they filmed the scene in Spectre where Bond first meets Dr Madeleine Swann. Based at 3048m above sea level, and on a nice sunny day I thought I'd do a bit of IR and UV imaging. Taken using my monochrome converted EOS 5DSR. UV images taken with a Canon 40mm pancake lens and LaLaU filter. Ir images taken with 17-40mm Canon lens (at 40mm) and Heliopan 715 filter.

Firstly a landscape pair. No tripod, so guessing it a bit which is why they have slightly different views.

IR (ISO640, 1/250s, f10)

post-148-0-53920800-1536669377.jpg

UV (ISO640, 1/13s, f10)

post-148-0-65198900-1536669370.jpg

Secondly, my lovely (and long suffering) wife, while we sat in the Ice Q restaurant lounge having a drink after a rather breathless walk around up there. This was an outdoor lounge with safety glass around the edge.

IR (ISO640, 1/320s, f13)

post-148-0-21827800-1536669452.jpg

UV (ISO640, 1/10s, f6.3)

post-148-0-11162300-1536669448.jpg

The safety glass presumably has a polymer film in the middle which is why it looks pretty much black in the UV image, and just reflects the building behind. You can just about see the mountains through it in UV. Big differences my wifes top and how it reflects UV and IR too.

Cooool! You really see the difference in Raleigh scattering between the IR and UV shots there. I like how the UV makes things look further away. How on earth do you get a sharp photo at 1/13th sec? My hands are not that steady. Does your camera have stabilization in the body?

For the UV pic of your poor wife, what is the source of UV? It is clearly not outdoor light. Flash?

I had a few attempts Andy at getting the steady shot. The others weren't that good.

All natural light - sunlight only. yes, my poor wife, puts up with a lot from me.

How was it getting through the black windows? Was there an uncoated window behind you?

Ah, I get you now. Yes, it was all open above about 5 feet in height, where we were sat was outside on a terrace, and the windows were around the edge to stop people falling off while still giving a clear view all round. So my wife was in full sunlight, not sunlight having gone through the glass.

I follow. I was imagining something more like a conservatory.

The sky is very black, even though it's a 715nm filter -- is that because you were so high up + low humidity? Or just editing?

I follow. I was imagining something more like a conservatory.

The sky is very black, even though it's a 715nm filter -- is that because you were so high up + low humidity? Or just editing?

The altitude may have something to do with it, but all these images were given an auto contrast in Photoshop, as the only processing.

Nice examples.Your wife seems to have skin showing little pigmentation in UV, too.

High altitude and low moisture and little dust in the air make the sky very dark in IR.

I occasionally make a sharp (enough) image handheld at around 1/10 to 1/15 sec in UV. So it is doable albeit not a guaranteed success. I even managed once to pull off a pretty sharp UV image with the UV-Nikkor at 1/4 sec -- but that was pot luck.

If one can push the camera against something solid for support, even second-long exposures can come out well.

Myself and my wife have just come back from a few days in the Alps, and while we were there we visited the Elements 007 Cinematic experience at Solden, in Austria (well recommend visiting by the way) where they filmed the scene in Spectre where Bond first meets Dr Madeleine Swann.

If you like the combination of the alps and Bond film-sites you could visit Piz Gloria next time.

https://en.wikipedia...wiki/Piz_Gloria

OHMSS (1969)