UltravioletPhotography

In the spotlight

A few week ago I played around checking focus shift in UV for a few lenses.

As I did that indoors with a Baader U on the lens, I used one of my Convoy S2 UV-flashlights for illumination.

The exposure times with the flashlight was quite short and made me realise how powerful the Convoy is.

Today for the first time I brought the Convoy with me, to use as focusing aid when changing filters.

It worked very well and I was amazed how much brighter the Convoy is at close range compared to the bright sunshine.

In the scene below I used a stack of S8612, 2mm and U-360, 2mm on an El-Nikkor 80/5.6 metal version.

Exposure times:

Sun only: 15s, Sun + Convoy: 1/2s

I held the lamp rather close, 5-10cm.

post-150-0-80162000-1533662166.jpg

post-150-0-15440200-1533662154.jpg

post-150-0-61103600-1533660557.jpg

It was some movement of the flowers due to a slight wind.

This can be seen as a slight yellow halo around the edges of the flower petals.

Due to the very different illumination, the raw processing in rather different.

Yes, indeed! The Convoy 2+ has strong emission and based on using equivalent LEDs on their own, I think the reflector concentrating the beam has much to do with the very high irradiance achieved at close range.

The Convoy also helps to bring out details such as the pollen grains in the last photo. Very nice!

One small problem I've had using a 365 nm UV-LED flashlight to supplement sunlight is that it creates a color cast - usually yellow. So you must be careful to evenly illuminate the subject with the UV-LED flashlight or you can get some strange patchy false colours.

One small problem I've had using a 365 nm UV-LED flashlight to supplement sunlight is that it creates a color cast - usually yellow. So you must be careful to evenly illuminate the subject with the UV-LED flashlight or you can get some strange patchy false colours.

And weird shadows! Like when I tried this (see last photo):

http://www.ultraviol...__fromsearch__1