UltravioletPhotography

Horse-drawn Firefighting Appliance in UV

eye4invisible

eye4invisible

One of the things I like about UV photography, is the aesthetics it gives when shooting old-fashioned items. In Mississauga, some of our fire stations have bygone firefighting appliances on permanent display. This one is, of course, painted firetruck red, although the paint is quite faded, and the UV clearly shows where the paint is chipping away.

Nikon D3200 full spectrum with Kolari Vision UV bandpass filter, 18-55mm kit lens @ 25mm, f/4, 1/6sec handheld, ISO400, AP auto. I must go back and re-shoot this with my newly-acquired EL-Nikkor 80mm f/5.6 sometime.

White balance dropper in Capture NX-D set against the wooden fence in the background, converted NEF to TIFF, then faux colouration added in Lightroom (no channel-swapping).

post-116-0-01069700-1532840076.jpg

Very nice, Andy. I like the toning of the old pump.

That's a fairly fast speed for the KolariU.

How do you have that mounted? Just curious, because I didn't think the 18-55 kit had a 52mm filter diameter? But maybe the newer ones do? It's been quite a while since I had that lens.

eye4invisible

That's a fairly fast speed for the KolariU.

Yes, quite fast, considering it was quite cloudy with sunny breaks. ISO100 just wouldn't cut it.

How do you have that mounted? Just curious, because I didn't think the 18-55 kit had a 52mm filter diameter? But maybe the newer ones do? It's been quite a while since I had that lens.

This is mounted via a straight 52mm thread. Most of my lenses are 52mm (my 55-300mm is 58mm, but it's probably the worse lens for UV and IR) so all of my filters are also this diameter.

eye4invisible

I like this very much, Other Andy! It is well lit against the background too.

Thanks! I got a "lucky break" in the clouds to illuminate that spot. Photography, especially the multispectral type, has taught me patience.

I like it very much too.

It is quite dramatic with a good visual focus on the appliance and with the sky looking like something on fire hidden in the background.

IMHO it would be even a bit better if slightly cropped.

I would cut away the parabola and the sharp roof edge, at the right side.

I think they split the visual attention too much.