UltravioletPhotography

New lens: Porst Weitwinkel 35/3.5

Andy Perrin

Andy Perrin

I bought a new lens the other day and it just came. It is a Porst Weitwinkel 35mm/3.5, which is claimed by the seller to be a renamed version of the Ennalyt 1:3,5/35mm Enna Werke München. The latter was reviewed well in the Sticky, so when I saw the listing for US$26, I bought it. (Yeah, that's right, I got a new Porst for $26. :D )

These are the seller's photos, but the lens looked the same when it arrived.

post-94-0-43141200-1532633780.jpg post-94-0-13735600-1532633791.jpg

Here is my first test. I compared it to the Novoflex Noflexar 35mm/3.5, as I don't have any 35mm lenses with better UV transmission than that lens (although see results below — I may NOW!).

I wish I had a Sparticle. Maybe I should start working on one.

The exposure was F/16 10" ISO100 with the Sony NEX-7.

White balance was on PTFE using the Noflexar, in-camera, and then left unaltered when I changed the lens.

Stack was 1.75mm S8612, and 2mm UG11. One of these days I will buy some U-360, but this is what I have around.

I did not do any image alteration besides RAW conversion, white balance, and rescaling.

post-94-0-07603400-1532632842.jpg

First impressions are good. It seems to be faster than the Noflexar under the identical conditions. There is a lens flare or light leak or SOMETHING going on in the middle. This is the same thing I was getting with the Noflexar the other day, but now the Noflexar was fine but the Porst had difficulties. I went to get a lens hood and in that time the sun went behind the clouds and I realized the exposures would all be different. So you will have to wait a bit for a retest with a hood.

Interesting results. Is the lens M42 mount? Hard to tell the difference in exposure, due to that central hot spot.

But could be 1/2 stop faster.

Andy Perrin

Yeah, I gotta redo it. Yes, it's M42.

ETA: ARGH, the sun/clouds will NOT sit still! I'm not even going to post the redo I attempted just now. We will have to try again tomorrow or whenever I can get consistent sunshine. For what it's worth, the Porst still seems to be winning by a hair. Either way, I'm happy with the purchase, I suppose. It's at least as good as the Noflexar, and it weighs a lot less.

Andy Perrin

Ok, here is the redo. Slightly longer exposure (since the 10" from yesterday seemed underexposed today). Now with a lens hood so close that it's vignetting, and photographing away from the sun. I wasn't taking any chances. Still some issues with clouds, although I did my best to make sure the sun seemed about the same between shots. I don't have a solarmeter or anything so I couldn't directly measure.

post-94-0-96069900-1532707490.jpg

--------------------------

Crop from center of image (100% of full size):

post-94-0-17561900-1532708560.jpg

--------------------------

The claims in the stickies for the Noflexar 35/3.5mm and the Ennalyt 35mm/3.5 Enna Werke München are:

post-94-0-06428700-1532707891.png

post-94-0-33121400-1532707902.png

It certainly seems a bit faster than the Noflexar, although if the stickies are correct it's only getting about 10nm further, and the sunlight intensity drops very quickly in that region. So this is not surprising.

The range in the stickies should not be confused with the transmission. You can have something transmit down to 330nm at 40% vs a lens down to 360nm with 80% transmission, but hard fall off. The 360nm range lens will have much better exposure time than the 330nm lens.

It would be great if we had a uv t stop value. Example is my wollensak 1" lens has a good range but is 4 stops slower than my EL 80mm lens.

Anyways, looks like you got a cheap winner. Have fun taking photos.

These wavelength values are not representing a transmission loss of 50%, but a point where the transmission is at ca 12.5%

That is the unique kds315 standard for presenting a lens transmission.

Still nice that the Porst Weitwinkel has a good UV-range.

Poster Fujinonuser on this page (scroll down) says that Enna Werk built some lenses to be re-branded by Photo Porst and Photo Quelle.

http://forum.mflense...ens-t46743.html

I do hope that eventually I can hire someone to properly measure UV-capable lenses and provide nice charts.

Andy Perrin

Interesting, and it also clears up how to pronounce "Enna":

Enna Werk was founded in Munich in 1920 by Alfred Neumann ("Enna" is made up of the initials of his name "N" and "A").