UltravioletPhotography

Veritasium: The World in UV

eye4invisible

eye4invisible

I always wonder what setup they are using for these videos. Would be nice if they actually said so.

Andy Perrin
It was interesting. The material on animal fur was news to me, so worth watching on those grounds. I know Klaus Schmitt consults on those kind of videos — he would probably know (and maybe he even did this one, I don't know). He helped on one of David Attenborough's.
Andy Perrin

She took the video, but where does it say she designed the setup?

In the other video on sunscreen, Dianna says “a couple months ago a few guys got in touch with me and told me that they had access to a UV video camera...”

Andy Perrin
Cadmium: I don’t distrust anything in the video. They did not say that Dianna designed their UV setup. And in the other video they outright stated that someone else approached them with it.
Andy Perrin

I was editing because you were! I’m done editing and going to bed so you can revise as needed and I’ll understand everything when I wake up.

Dear people who are not Cadmium: I’m sorry for confusing you all.

Okay one last edit: I am deleting references to things Cadmium has deleted references to. So people won’t think I’m crazy.

I was editing because you were! I’m done editing and going to bed so you can revise as needed and I’ll understand everything when I wake up.

Dear people who are not Cadmium: I’m sorry for confusing you all.

Okay one last edit: I am deleting references to things Cadmium has deleted references to. So people won’t think I’m crazy.

Guess I have to start quoting you so things stay.

They had to have used a beam splitter for the split screen UV/Vis portion. In those split screens, did you happen to notice that they were using a lens which had a rather big focus shift?

Just mod any Panasonic Lumix cam from the G line if you want to make UV videos. They are not at all difficult to make. Check first that the Lumix not one of the those having an internal IR shutter monitor.

((I still find it impossible to sit through an entire Youtube video. I wonder why that is? Oh well.))

Could it not have been two cameras mounted side by side in tandem, one for VIS and one for UV?

The two video streams could then be mixed together in a suitable way.

There seams to be a rather big parallax error for many distances.

I think they mount one cam on top of other.

That would place the lenses closer together and decrease the parallax problem, but possible make the parallax optimisation more difficult.

The parallax error can only be correct for one distance and adjusted to make the film look good most of the time.

What I see makes me believe that the cameras are mounted side by side on a long acra-rail and rotated slightly for adjustment.

They have adjusted it differently for different scenes and the error is always sideways

In the beginning with the guys face the face is correct, but his hands are wrong. (see 0:51-0:52)

The scenic scene where they shift the UV/VIS border is optimised for infinity and a bush at mid distance is wrong, sideways. (see 1:28)

When I first looked at the vid, I didn't really notice the hands or the fence. :D

Good analysis, Ulf.

Dmitry, you should try your Olympus for video. Put it on Vimeo or Youtube for us all to see!

I wonder what lens they used---the FOV looks too wide for any of the dedicated quartz optics I have heard about.

That was a good entertaining video. I laughed when he asked Physics Girl the biochemical question about Melanin. Yes people whom study physics know all about biology and biochemistry. At least the answer wasn't wrong. There is some interesting functional amyloids involved in melanin. But explaining that to a general audience, can be hard.

Finished watching the other videos. The Physics Girl one was a waste of time. So much could have been said but wasn't. Also I loved her definition of FDA, more research is needed. From her video it looks like they are using a modified GH4. The lens was large. Looked like the Sigma 18-35 f1.8. So they may only be looking at 380nm and up. But I don't know the lens. You can see it in the first 35 seconds of the Physics Girl video. All that is worth watching.

How to make sunscreen was fun to watch. Especially knowing the chemistry and seeing the oil press I have in action. The uv meters used were entertaining.

What uv meter would people here recommend? Something low cost but useful.

eye4invisible

Could it not have been two cameras mounted side by side in tandem, one for VIS and one for UV?

The two video streams could then be mixed together in a suitable way.

There seams to be a rather big parallax error for many distances.

I figured it was just a side-by-side setup. The 2 halves don't match up 100%, even accounting for the subtle difference in perceived focal length in UV versus visible.

Dmitry, you should try your Olympus for video. Put it on Vimeo or Youtube for us all to see!

I did it :)

Need some time to process it, very interesting results :)