UltravioletPhotography

[Filter Test SEU Gen2 #5] Landscape Interlude

Andrea B.

[Last Updated: 2018.07.19 16:10 EDT]

[Filter Test SEU Gen2 #1] Introduction to the SEU Gen2

[Filter Test SEU Gen2 #2] White Balance, Raw Histogram & Andrea's "White Signature"

[Filter Test SEU Gen2 #3] Filter Speed & A Windy Bull's-eye

[Filter Test SEU Gen2 #4] Dealing with the Usual Dichroic Effects

[Filter Test SEU Gen2 #5] Landscape Interlude

[Filter Test SEU Gen2 #6] Monochrome Museum Comparison

[Filter Test SEU Gen2 #7] Measured Filter Transmission

[Filter Test SEU Gen2 #8] Dichroic Reflection Detour

[Filter Test SEU Gen2 #9A] Longpass Stack Wandering Discussion. See #9B for results.

[Filter Test SEU Gen2 #9B] Longpass Stack Results

[Filter Test SEU Gen2 #10] What good is a filter test without a Rudbeckia?

[Filter Test SEU Gen2 #11] A Fascinating New Rudbeckian View

[Filter Test SEU Gen2 #12] Summary

Landscape Interlude

I was extremely pleased with the landscape I'm about to post because it turned out well with all the filters. And I made a particularly pretty green-toned final version from the SEU Gen2 file. That would be the the "teaser" photo I showed you in the first topic of this review. I also made a plain monochrome and a sepia-toned version from the SEU Gen2 file.

I'm going to leave the BaaderU and KolariU photos a bit unfinished to illustrate a point explained below. I'll just mention that both these photos also finish up quite nicely.

How about no fancy boilerplate in this post? I'll save if for the upcoming stacking tests.

Gear: D610 + Novoflex 35/3.5 Noflexar + UV-Pass Filters + Sun + Tripod

Absolutely on tripod for wide landscapes unless you are 16 years old with young nerves of steel and perfect balance when standing on a long dock extending into the ocean waters.

Comment_1: Yes indeedy, standin' on the dock of the bay is definitely a place where you are going to want a UV-pass filter that can provide a faster exposure time as does the SEU Gen2. It can take a while for passing wakes to stop jostling the pier.

Comment_2: The SEU Gen2 is as sharp as they come! Combined with my best Noflexar, you can see a wealth of small detail even in these compressed JPGs. I'll be making a more careful sharpness comparison in a later post.

Comment_3 added 2018.07.20: All images but the very last one were cropped to remove some dark vignetting corners. If you recall from the dark-cornered Backhoe photos in Filter Test SEU Gen2 #2, I did not bring the proper step-rings or other fittings with me while on vacation as I didn't expect to be testing a filter! So my Baader filters are too narrow over my 35mm Noflexar which was used for these frames.

Please click up these photos for the best view at their maximum 1200 pixel width. Web posting does compromise them slightly, but that cannot be helped.

Visible Shore-scape

f/11 for 1/160" @ ISO-100

It is really is this blue here. But I might revisit the lightness of these blues later when I have more time to spend on conversion.

d610_novoflex_vis_sun_shoreScape_20180713swhME_11788pnCrop.jpg

SEU Gen2 Split-tone

f/11 for 1/2" @ ISO-100

They say that we should never fall in love with our own work, but I do really like this split tone photo. A low saturation green seems to work well for UV toning. Then I got wild and added an unsaturated pale yellow for split toning of the brighter areas. I simply eyeballed the split point, stopping when the toning brought out the rocks on the shore to my satisfaction.

d610_novoflex_uvSeuGen2_sun_shoreScape_20180713swhME_11806pnSplitTone.jpg

SEU Gen2 Sepia

Another lovely rendition. Sepia is nice for UV as some UVP members have often shown.

d610_novoflex_uvSeuGen2_sun_shoreScape_20180713swhME_11806pnSepiaCrop.jpg

SEU Gen2 Black and White

Look out Ansel, we UV photographers are hot on your trail! I tried to get a few zones up and running in this rendition.

d610_novoflex_uvSeuGen2_sun_shoreScape_20180713swhME_11806pnMonoCrop.jpg

BaaderU Shore-scape

f/11 for 1" @ISO-100

I'm not sure whether I should show an incomplete conversion but I wanted to make a small point. And that is that the BaaderU can also exhibit a lot of underlying dichroic discoloration when used over a wide-angle lens. This is a typical white-balanced conversion after which I slightly pushed what color there was in the photo. Neither wide-angle dichroic discoloration nor falloff vignetting was dealt with. You can plainly see its effects.

d610_novoflex_uvBaader_sun_shoreScape_20180713swhME_11801pnSatPlusCrop.jpg

KolariU Shore-scape

f/11 for 1" @ ISO-100

Again I am showing an incomplete conversion. Here I want to make the point that ordinary falloff vignetting has its own discoloration problems. This is a typical white-balanced conversion with a slight saturation push. Vignetting was not dealt with. You can see the vignetting discoloration effects on the outer edges of the photo. It is less widespread within the frame than a dichroic problem tends to be.

Added 2018.07.20: This frame was left uncropped simply to illustrate the falloff vignetting which is very common in wide-angle lenses. Such vignetting in a UV-photo can show discoloration.

d610_novoflex_uvKolari_sun_shoreScape_20180713swhME_11811pf.jpg

This topic is open for comments. Please let me know how you like these renditions. ;)

Wonderful pictures.

My favourite is the SEU 2 Black and White.

I am not that used to toned pictures yet.

May I add that the camera is a full frame DSLR.

I am not a Nikon camera user and had to verify my guess at Google.

Very nice. I actually like the Sepia color here and will have to try that in the future.

Question, why is the KolariU shot wider? Is the SEU and Baader cropped? Or were you positioned further back for the final shot.

David, the photos were all made from the exact same location. I wanted to illustrate the falloff discoloration which can occur with any UV-pass filter when used on wide-angle lenses, so the KolariU was not "cropped in". I will go back and add a note about that. ;)

Ulf, the D610 is a full-frame camera.

Sepia toning is nice for (some) UV photos because it gives them a lighter appearance even though no change to actual tones is made.

UV is always nice in Black & White. I think a bit of attention must be given to balancing the "zones". I usually will raise the midtone zones just a bit. It has always seemed to me that UV photos have dark zones and bright zones, but not much in between. :D While I would not want to destroy that basic characteristic of UV photos, it does help to be able to see a few more details with a minor midtone curve raise. Or a little bit of dodging brush in selected areas.