UltravioletPhotography

What kind of tape for taping up camera light leaks (and other stuff)

Andrea B.

Some of us are wondering what is a good kind of tape to use for taping up a light leak on a camera? Some tape adhesives make a sticky, gooey mess after a while in the hot sun. So the adhesive needs to stick, but not "melt".

The answers are going to vary by country because brand names will vary, but let's hear 'em anyway please.

I tried some Scotch vinyl electrical tape but it does not stick very well in hot sun. So vinyl electrical tape = NO.

The SigOth suggested I try his Gorilla tape, so I will do that and let you all know. There is dense fog here today so my tape test will be delayed. By then I hope we have some other suggestions too. :)

.....www.gorillatough.com and of course we have no affiliation....

eye4invisible
I am using a small piece of black duck tape on either side of the eyepiece.

Gorilla tape (the black kind) is pretty opaque, I have used it to hold some of my adapters together. It does tend to wear out over time, though.

Freshly manufactured electrical tape works reasonably well for a while if of good quality, but the adhesive tends to deteriorate into a useless goo over time. The old adhesive can be scrubbed from surfaces with Goo-Gone and a paper towel.

Duct tape is worthless--a lot of IR gets through it.

Aluminum foil can be a useful adjunct to tape if used judiciously--it is quite opaque.

enricosavazzi

Camera repairmen (assuming the species is not extinct) generally use a thin foil of closed-pore black rubber with adhesive on one side. Last time I checked (several years ago) it used to be available in several different thicknesses. It was used mainly to make the rear door (that opens to replace the film roll/canister) light tight after the original light seal wore out, but also inside the viewfinder and in other critical places.

Some older cameras had black velvet in these places, but this required a type of velvet that does not shed fibers. With almost all natural velvet now replaced by cheaply made synthetics (incidentally, usually IR-translucent), it would probably be problematic to find the original material for repairs.

I am kind of surprised no one mentioned gaffers tape yet, so I will.

I don't have any, but it seems like the stuff photographers use to cover up things on cameras. It doesn't leave any sticky residue like electrical tape does.

Google 'gaffers tape camera youtube'.

enricosavazzi

What was natural velvet made from?

Traditionally, most velvet was made from either silk or cotton. Cotton velvet was best for avoiding reflections (silk threads tends to be shiny) and was also cheaper than silk velvet. According to Wikipedia, less frequently other natural fibers were also used.

Today, almost all velvet sold at reasonable prices is made from rayon. It is quite shiny when seen from a certain angle.

I still have a few pieces of cotton velvet I bought some 45 years ago. It has lost some of its blackness and has become somewhat brittle, but it is still far superior to rayon black velvet for avoiding reflections.

I got some of the gaffers tape.

Pro Gaff brand as sold at FilmTools and B&H.

Very nice tape, comes off easy. Finer cloth material than Duct tape, and blocks light MUCH better than my Duct tape (you can see the light through the Duct tape in the lower photo).

Pro Gaff is available in different widths, this is 2 inch wide pictured here (many colors also, if needed).

I am doing a test over time of all three side by side.

post-87-0-68444800-1532565613.jpg

post-87-0-31332400-1532565648.jpg

Cool that you are testing these tapes! My main problem has been adhesive melt in the hot sun, but I'm just now thinking that it might be useful to also test the tapes by seeing how they do in the cold. Put a taped object into the refrigerator and also the freezer.

The Gorilla tape I'm trying has a really strong adhesive. I was worried that removing it might pull something loose like the upper LCD on the D610. So I have used a piece of cardboard over the LCD and taped that to the camera body.

There is a duct tape which the manufacturer has labeled Duck Tape. So for awhile I thought duck tape was the name for duct tape and wondered why it had gotten that odd name. Girls do not routinely pick up knowledge about duct, Duck, gaff or other kinds of tape while growing up. Fortunately we do remain teachable and later learn the benefits and uses of good tape for sealing up camera leaks. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Andy Perrin

I used to say Duck Tape as a kid and I was really amused when the Duck BRAND tape came out.

(I suspect girls these days do pick up a bit about tape - certainly my acquaintances growing up all knew about gaffers because they were theater techs. Or perhaps it just depends on the girl!)