UltravioletPhotography

Convoy S2+ Flashlight Gets Warm?

eye4invisible

eye4invisible

I'm branching out into UVIVF and I've already bought myself a Convoy S2+ Flashlight from this supplier.

The question I have is that I noticed after only 5 minutes or so of continuous use, that this flashlight gets quite warm near the LED end. Is this normal? I always thought that LEDs were "cold lights" (as opposed to incandescent light).

I'm branching out into UVIVF and I've already bought myself a Convoy S2+ Flashlight from this supplier.

The question I have is that I noticed after only 5 minutes or so of continuous use, that this flashlight gets quite warm near the LED end. Is this normal? I always thought that LEDs were "cold lights" (as opposed to incandescent light).

That is quite normal as the efficiency of the LED converting electrical energy to light is not 100%, but closer to 50%.

The temperature internally in the chip is still far from the filament temperature of the filament in an incandescent bulb.

As most semiconductors the maximum peak temperature is between 100°C and 150°C

The semiconductor in a LED is most efficient when cold.

The efficiency and expected life time decreases at higher temperatures.

Good design for cooling the chip is essential when running them close to their current rating as done with the Convoy S2+.

The design seams to be rather well done, leading the heat to the case.

eye4invisible

That is quite normal as the efficiency of the LED converting electrical energy to light is not 100%, but closer to 50%.

Thanks UlfW, that's good to know.

I have 5 of the convoy S2+, and I use them all the time, and I run them for 30 to 45 minutes often, and that is a long time, and with fresh batteries always, and they get slightly warm, but not hot.

I got mine from gearbest.

I have 3 of the convoy S2+ and have the same experience of the running temperature as Cadmium.

This could be either good or bad. Good if the efficiency of the LEDs are better or bad if the cooling due to thermal coupling is worse.

The difference can also be due to that the chosen power / current has been increased in a design change to get even more output power.

That would run the LED closer to the ratings.

I also got two similar lamps, but with strong white light. They have several different power levels.

At max power they get quite hot at the front end after a while.