UltravioletPhotography

Little suns, rising.

Taken with D810full spectrum, UV-Nikkor at F8 ISO1600 10s and Baader U

(It is a GIF) :)

https://www.dropbox...._00008.gif?dl=0

(it is about 19Mb large and contains about 50 pictures, just tested it with different hardware: it seems you have to download the file and then, depending on your system it works in the browser or you have to use other viewing/picture software. tested with iPad and android & Firefox)

EDITOR's NOTE: I have uploaded Werner's GIF in post #8. We cannot do this too often because it takes up a lot of space. However, I wanted to experiment just this one time to see whether this could be done. :lol:

Thanks, Werner, for this nice treat!

Andy Perrin
So far I can't get this to work properly on my Mac. Is it supposed to be an animated GIF?
eye4invisible

So far I can't get this to work properly on my Mac. Is it supposed to be an animated GIF?

It works in my Chrome browser (although I am on Windows).

on the Mac, you have to indicate it in the finder and then hit the space bar. Preview tries to analyse it and extracts all pictures, which takes alot of time.
Triggered a cascade of warnings and opt-outs from myriads of advertising sites. No thanks.

Werner, that is awesome!! I love it.

What is the interval over which the time-lapse was photographed?

That looks like an Oenothera flower, but I'm not entirely sure.

Birna, what have you done to your machine! The downloadable gif is on Dropbox, a very safe site. The only thing that pops up is a Dropbox log-in which is easily dismissed.

I run Firefox with the excellent extension called Disconnect to block trackers and Ad-blocker to block ads. Disconnect must be installed first.

I have managed to upload Werner's automated GIF. Click on the photo and the GIF will run in the pop-up. Or hit your refresh button and the GIF will run again within the topic window.

Little Suns, Rising by Werner Droste

AALL_800x534_D812866_00008.gif

That looks really cool!

What kind of wizardry did you use to eliminate blur from wind movement? Even inside a greenhouse I would have expected to see some phototropism.

There is nothing wrong either with my computing gear or sanity, it's the thing called GDPR and all its ramifications, Andrea. Dropbox initiates requests for accepting settings that one has to explore and this in turn generates all sorts of follow-up links. Google itself is "helpful" by offering an add-on to the browser to download -- just so you can turn off the worst offensive tracking and spying (by Google and affiliates). However, if you decline the "offer", there is no opt-out.
I'm sorry but I am not seeing any of that. Anyway, you can now see the nice GIF above. It is quite interesting to see those flowers open up.

You are in a different country.

The embedded GIF here on UVP displays properly, though.

Thank you Andrea for uploading it here!

Yes, it is just a GIF, put together in PS and then uploaded to Dropbox.

The plants are Oenothera biennsis (gemeine Nachtkerze, evening star, sun drop)

The shots were taken at a really perfect day, with regard to wind (I had taken similar visual shots the previous evenings, but there had been a bit of wind always.) The plants are outside in a garden inside a carrè of houses. I had checked a little weather station on the hills next to Bonn (via internet) and the anemometer had shown wind speed zero, which is very unusual.

The complete sequence covers 30 minutes (60 pictures, 30s intervals, 10s exposure (+10s dark exposure).

Only the very first picture is taken about 1 h earlier. The sequence went from 9:15pm to 9:45pm (summer time)

In the GIF, each picture is shown for 0.5s, only the last one for 10s.

From the previous days I knew, that the flowers open rather fast, most of it is done within 60s.

The Raw-development and WB was done with NX-D (very little editing), then stored as TIF and further processed to the GIF in PS. So no need for deblurring.

The sky was already dark blue (no clouds) and this was after sun set. So still enough UV-light.

Wind speed of zero over that time frame would be unusual just about anywhere. Is "inside a carrè of houses" something like a courtyard?

In early evening there is often a dramatic lull in the breezes. We had that yesterday evening here. Stuff was really still for sure.

I had to go look this up because I wanted to read why this happens. Here's a link to an old article: http://wxguys.ssec.wisc.edu/2013/11/18/why-does-the-wind-diminish-after-sunset/

Back when I lived in Kansas I don't think the wind ever stopped. B)

Wind speed of zero over that time frame would be unusual just about anywhere. Is "inside a carrè of houses" something like a courtyard?

John, it is a bit larger than a courtyard and a bit smaller than a "block", it looks like this:

post-21-0-22490700-1531068903.jpg

And Andrea, yes, at the moment we have that kind of weather here.