UltravioletPhotography

Testing RTF Text File

Andrea B.

Testing upload and attachment of an RTF text file.

First try: not working for .rtf extension.

Editing set up.

Later. It now works.

TextFile.rtf

OK.

Text files with either txt or rtf extension maybe uploaded and attached. When the attachment is clicked, your computer should pop up a message about which app should read it or whether you wish to download and save it.

The computers indeed would, if an RTF editor/viewer isn't associated with the file type. Tested on a couple of platforms here and it's a green go.

Asking just out of curiosity: why the sudden need for attaching formatted text when a PDF could serve the same purpose?

Andy Perrin
Well, it would be nice for transmitting data, like program code? I have no idea if that's what Andrea had in mind, but PDFs are not easily converted into other types of files the way text is. Also text has much lower storage requirements.

For program code plain old-fashioned TXT would suffice, one does not need the support for the Rich Text Format for such purposes. Even .txt files should be able to accept Unicode so at last we inhabitants of European countries can have our names properly written not mangled into the ancient ASCII straight-jacket.

Again, I'm just curious here and not at all opposed to the feature of accepting .rtf files.

Output to pdf-format is a ubiquitous feature of word processing software these days.

Andy Perrin
Output to pdf-format is a ubiquitous feature of word processing software these days.

Yes, I meant the other direction (PDF->txt) was difficult. So code would be hard to extract in a useable form.

I have no idea why we need RTF either, though, but why not?

We have always been able to upload/attach a TXT file.

And sometime within the last year or so (don't recall exactly) I added PDF to the upload/attach list.

Recently I noticed that I do not have a TXT app myself. These days text apps seem to be all RTF. So I added RTF to the list. And tested it above.

Really nothing going on other than that.

Note that Mac keyboards support European characters for any app. It has nothing to do with TXT, RTF or PDF. Most all Euro characters are accessible by simply holding down a key to get the popup. Quite easy. I no longer know about how Windows makes them available as my last Windows machine has bitten the dust.

Inputting the character is one thing, making it survive the data storage handling and re-emerge correctly on the other side of the transfer chain is another. Plenty of web sites and computer software on Windows/Mac platforms struggle* with this even in 2018. Linux tends to be better but is not infallible as far as character handling is concerned.

As a user of a Nordic language I encounter these issues on a daily basis.

* or don't give a damn. Or simply massacre the input to "get rid" of non-ASCII characters.

Well so far so good for my local storage.

How is the forum software doing? Any problems you have noticed with it? I recall we have had some problems either here or over on NG with apostrophes.

The UVP forum software is kind. For a change. However, no idea whether the characters display properly on a non-Nordic system.
They look good in your signature and location.