UltravioletPhotography

Mould on Kiwi Fruit

I noticed a small speck of mould on the outside of a Kiwi fruit. On cutting it open the mould extended to the centre. The UVF version is perhaps not as impressive as I had expected!

Details: Nikon D800 with 105mm micro-Nikkor. UVLED Convoy S2+ UV source. Approx 10 seconds @ f/16 - light painted.

post-47-0-37085500-1527757986.jpg

And this serves to remind us to be careful about scraping off those little specks of mold and eating the fruit anyway. :lol:

I think the fluorescence is intriguing as it is occuring around the seeds and center area. Must mean something, yes?

Dmitry, I use good quality black velvet (not velveteen!) It is expensive. I also try to elevate the subject above it by using one of a range of flat bottomed glass bottles, copper piping etc to reduce light spillage on to the background. Remember, black is an absence of light!

If necessary I then use the shadow slider on the levels dialog box in "threshold mode" in Photoshop to darken the background, and finally use the spot healing brush to remove any dust specks that are visible. I have missed a couple in the UVF image above, underneath the fruit!

Adrian, those little fluorescent fibers have been mis-apprised of their utility. They think they are there to indicate depth of field. I've tried to dismiss them from working in my fluorescent photos, but have not yet succeeded. They refuse to leave.

I got some black velvet to try. It was made in Korea and cost $30 per yard length (36 inches), but I don't have any idea what constitutes a "good" black velvet. I have it on a coat hanger folded so that the velvet is inside. If I ever find the time to try it out as a backdrop, then I will post about it. If it does not work out, then I will make some kind of jacket or stole thing out of it. :D