UltravioletPhotography

Rose-like flower

Andy Perrin

A rose is a rose is a...well, I dunno what this is, but it's pretty?

post-94-0-55597200-1527736457.jpg

NEX-7, 330WB70, EL-Nikkor 80mm/5.6, F/22, 10", ISO200, sharpened and denoised.

post-94-0-54539000-1527736541.jpg

The UV frame is excellent.

Roses are really tough to ID*. Was this one wild? I have not seen an orange wild rose. It is striking!

*Well, for me anyway. I have not practiced enough with them I suppose. "-)

Rosa keys are very botanically technical and require up-close views of styles, hypanthium, old growth and new growth and so on.

Added 2 minutes later: https://gobotany.new...org/genus/rosa/

Yikes, looks like 21 possibilities if wild in New England.

Andy Perrin

Thanks! And yeah, I always check GoBotany first. Like I said, “rose-like flower.” Heh.

I am not sure if it is wild or cultivar- in the location I found it, it might have been either. It’s nearby if someone wants a challenge. I can obtain more photos.

I do not put any effort into my visual photos since I consider them to be for ID and to give an idea of what the flower looks like, not “art.”

It could almost be a Rubus instead of a Rosa. But again the color is wrong.

I don't think this one will key out in GoBotany. There just aren't any orange-red wild roses there. Seems like it might be a domestic "escape".

This is most definitively a species belonging to Rosa. The odd colour hints at a cultivar origin.

Differentiating and naming Rose species is, to put it mildly, a botanist's nightmare. The taxonomy and nomenclature are a mess, too. A small handful of the wild roses are pretty distinct, though, so I tend to stick to these and ignore the others.

The above notwithstanding. it sure is pretty, and the UV record is first class.

Birna: it sure is pretty, and the UV record is first class.

It sure is!! Andy, why not add this to the Cultivar section? You can use the title "Rosa sp. [Orange Cultivar]". For a reference, the Rosa entry on Wikipedia is descriptive.. And for the comment simply mention you went on a walk and found this pretty thing. (Or whatever...) Our Cultivar section is a lttle more informal. :D

• 3 weeks later...
Excellent, image. What I find fascinating is how different that baby bottom petal is to the larger ones in UV. Very striking, and real. Do all the flowers have that baby petal or was it just this one?