UltravioletPhotography

Monkey flower ?

Found this growing by the side of the road with many others like a weed, but not sure I have seen it before. My bike water bottle served as a useful flower carrier to get it home.

I think maybe Minulus guttatus ? - a non-native species to UK

iphone pics:

post-175-0-17498400-1527545940.jpg

post-175-0-10442500-1527546040.jpg

D3200, UG1 2mm + BG40 2mm photax 35mm f/3.5, sunlight indoors

post-175-0-13536700-1527546079.jpg

post-175-0-04114400-1527546102.jpg

Yes, the determination seems correct. Soon you won't need us botanist here on UVP :D

I found this species growing actually up into the Arctic Norway on the coast. Thus it is a pretty robust flower not just pretty to look at.

There are Mimulus species also growing in the southwestern deserts of the US.

Has Mimulus as a species been renamed to Erythranthre?? It is sometimes difficult to keep up with botanical name changes.

Bill De Jager

Has Mimulus as a species been renamed to Erythranthre?? It is sometimes difficult to keep up with botanical name changes.

Wikepedia says so, along with a fair number of hits on a search. Our local standard reference http://ucjeps.berkel...y.php?tid=33619 says not.

This is an issue of particular concern in California because we have so many species here, both in Erythranthre and Diplacus (also recently re-separated from Mimulus). It's funny that almost immediately in my earliest botanical learnings I had to subsume Diplacus under Mimulus, and now it seems that it's separate again!

E. guttatus is our most common species in the genus, but the most charming ones IMO are the tiny spring annuals forming carpets of color in the pine forests up in the mountains.