UltravioletPhotography

Caltha palustris Project

Martin Zitko

Martin Zitko

As a part of my master's thesis I'm going over the variability of Caltha palustris UV signature and its possible correlations. This project has been influenced a lot by similar works of Koski et Ashman. If I will be able to finish it, I will post some results here as well.

If anyone is interested and/or would be willing to help I'm always looking for UV images of Caltha palustris from different locations (I can't be everywhere :) ). An example below.

post-185-0-17283400-1527513306.jpg

Caltha View: It should be taken as frontal as possible, with at least approximate location where was the photo taken, maybe with a brief description. A scale is useful but not necessary.

Format: JPG or TIF.

Size: Any size.

Equipment or Exposure Details: Not needed.

Visible view also? Yes, if possible. Especially if the flower had unusual colour (i.e. white at the end of sepals).

Attribution: That's a sure thing. If I use the actual image, attribution will be listed near the photo. If I only use the extracted data, the attribution will be in the form of a list of contributors. There can also be a webpage link or something like that.

Licensing Details for Pro Photographers: If you need any details for image license, feel free to contact me (mail or PM).

A big thanks to anyone who will decide to contribute. If possible I will mention you in any output from such data.

Martin

Martin, I have some C. palustris from Norway which I am happy to donate.

But first a couple of questions.

Would you please edit your post with more specific requirements about format? For example:

• Do you want the images in raw, JPG, TIF or DNG format?
    I'm thinking that you probably do not want raw files.

• Do you have a size requirement for width in pixels or print width in mm?

• Do you want details about the camera/lens/filter/lighting that was used?

• Do you want an accompanying visible image along with the UV image?

• Professional photographers and perhaps others will usually require a small attribution in the caption of the image or in a list somewhere. From my experience this is always acceptable in a university thesis, but please do check the thesis rules at your school. Attribution is a simple statement like: Photo copyright 2018 Andrea G Blum" or "Photo on Page 11 © 2019 AG Blum"

• Professional photographers will provide you with a usage license for an image but might need one or two details such as the University's name and the supervising professor's name. That info may be provided to the photographer via private email or our PM message system. You don't have to put that in your request above.

My C. palustris looks like the following. The flower which is 2nd from the right should be useful for you I think?

When I learn your requirements above, then I'll work up the image and license for you to download. (Also I have to check with Bjørn Birna about how to correctly spell the Norwegian location.)

calthaPalustris_vis_sun_20140512holandsdalenNorge_19036pnPf202.jpg

calthaPalustris_uvBaader_sb14_20140512holandsdalenNorge_19057pnPf2.jpg

Here is the larger version. Not everything is in full focus here, but if this larger version is useful to you I'll send it also. NOTE: Watermarks are removed when the image is licensed to a user.

calthaPalustris_uvBaader_sb14_20140512holandsdalenNorge_19054pnPf.jpg

Herman1705

I can provide you with this one:

post-132-0-44220900-1527538424.jpg

(You should have asked earlier :). The flowering season is over here at 52.65° North and 4.84° East.)

I have plenty of Caltha specimens for you, but would like to learn the answers to Andrea's questions before posting any of them.
Martin Zitko

Thank you all! I'll try to answer as best as I can.

What do I do with the images? I calculate the ratio between UV reflecting and absorbing area. I also extract landmark data for morphometric analysis. So it's more or less about the shape for me.

(I can't figure out how to edit my first post, so if I could ask the admins if possible ...?)

images requirements:

format: JPG or TIF (if the uv signature is recognisable, raw is unnecessary)

size: nearly anything will do

equipment details: not needed

image in visible: Yes, if possible. Especially if the flower had unusual colour (i.e. white at the end of sepals).

attribution: That's a sure thing. If I use the actual image, attribution will come with it in above mentioned format. If I only use the extracted data, the attribution will be in the form of a list of contributors. There can also be a webpage link or something like that.

If you need any details for image license feel free to contact me (mail or PM).

To Andrea: The second from right is great! Larger version will be useful as well I think, the bottom flowers will probably do. The blurry one is fine for the UV+/- ratio.

To Herman: This one is great! Thanks. I will collect data next year as well, so this is something between too late and too early :D. Interestingly I returned from Greece last week and Caltha was still in bloom there, like 1000 metres above sea level though.

Martin, I made a quick edit of your first post. Please look it over. Of course you can re-edit it!

To edit a post: Simply click the Edit button at bottom of post you wish to edit. You will see an edit box appear. Make the changes you want and then click the Save Changes button under the edit box.

Added Later: After writing that I learned that the post Edit function was disabled. That has been repaired. Apologies for the inconvenience!

I will go pull my Caltha images and prep them for you some time this evening. I will then put the Caltha images in a PM for delivery to you. You can then click up an attached image to the largest size and drag-and-drop it from the PM to your computer desktop. Your computer will probably re-name the dragged file with some generic name like "index.jpg" or similar so you must re-name the file after each drag to avoid over-writing a previous image. (I'm sure you already know this!! I am just trying to be complete. :D )

I also have some images of this flower. However they are from a pond in a park-like environment and not from wild nature.

(in the park at campus of Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences) https://www.slu.se/en/

Are they still interesting?

I had suggested that we could simply place them in a PM to Martin? I don't want to post an unwatermarked image here in the topic.
Martin Zitko

Yeah, PM is probably the best option I think. Thanks.

I also have some images of this flower. However they are from a pond in a park-like environment and not from wild nature.

(in the park at campus of Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences) https://www.slu.se/en/

Are they still interesting?

Sure, I'll just have to make a note about it. So if you please.