UltravioletPhotography

My 3nd encounter with WB preset failure in alternate wavelengths/light

Andrea B.

Last summer I ran a filter series test on my Panasonic Lumix GH1 full-spectrum conversion and discovered that for certain filters the in-camera white balance presets did not match the white balance obtained in a raw converter. The particular example shown in the Linkie happened with the BaaderU.

http://www.ultraviol...s-with-my-gh-1/

That should not be a surprise if you keep in mind that we are using in-camera white balance (ICWB) presets outside the usual spectral boundaries they were made for. Nikon DSLRs are notoriously awful at making ICWB presets in UV, but can mostly manage it in IR. However, sometimes even the brands capable of basic UV or IR ICWB presets can fail as have my GH1 or my Pentax K1.

Last night I was making some UV-induced visible fluorescence photo tests. When I attempted to make an ICWB preset against the fluorescent UV-Grey card using my old D300 full-spectrum conversion, I failed repeatedly to get it. Given that I had just successfully run the ICWB preset using my even older D200 full-spec mod, I was baffled. I have no idea why the ICWB preset function did not work in the modded D300.

Details:

D300-broadband + UV-Nikkor 105/4.5 + Baader UV/IR-Cut.

UV-Grey card illuminated by 365nm Nichia UV-Led torch.

Kept lens wide open at f/4.5. ISO varied from 100-400.

Carefully measured exposure before attempting WB preset.

Oh well.