UltravioletPhotography

UG2A and two other UV-filter pass filter combinations

This is the first follow-up of my experience with my UG2A-filter.

The camera used is a full spectrum modified EOS 60D at ISO320, with an EL-NIKKOR 80/5.6, oldest Nippon Kogaku metal-type.

Date of photography: 2018-05-06

Location: Billebjer, southern slope, a nature preserve close to Dalby Söderskog, Skåne, Sweden.

I have no idea of what plant this is. Help, please.

The plant flower colours are different compared to the strawberry flower.

The filters used is identical to the four first images in my previous post here:

http://www.ultraviol...r-combinations/

All images are processed from RAW and the UV-images has identical process settings except for the White Balance.

The White Balance is done by selecting the lower half of the picture below the flowers.

post-150-0-90045200-1526133187.jpg

Picture #1, Visual reference, filter : BG38, 2mm, 1/200s -2/3 step

post-150-0-28082700-1526133251.jpg

Picture #2, filters: S8612, 2mm + UG2A, 2mm, 6s +1/3 Step

post-150-0-67427100-1526133279.jpg

Picture #3, filters: S8612, 2mm + UG1, 1mm, 8s +1/3 step

post-150-0-56518000-1526133299.jpg

Picture #4, filters: S8612, 2mm + Hoya U-360, 2mm, 13s +1/3 step

Edit: Added location and white balance area.

Andy Perrin

I quite like this series. Could the flower be some kind of campion (silene)? Those split petals look familiar...

All images are processed from RAW and the UV-images has identical process settings except for the White Balance.

BTW, I forgot to thank you for your test on the other thread. So thank you! I was just trying to get some idea of how fast those filters expose relative to each other. This makes it very clear.

Andy, there is no reason to say thanks.

I improve and develop my image processing skills along the way.

I have not done much of that type of processing with similar related filter types before.

Any input that makes me think and learn more is most welcome!

Only glad that the addition was of any use.

Andrea, thanks for the help with identification.

I guess that it is a Cerastium arvense L. but as I do not (yet) have enough grip of all botanical terms in any language, I might have missed some detail important for the identification.

I really like the shape of this flower.

There is so much to discover in shape and beauty of flowers by looking closer.

The flower is interesting for the UG2A-stack results.

The lower wrinkled part of the petals get a purple tone with the UG1-stack, but not with the UG2A-stack.

Jim,

No I don't think so.

The stems are round.

The flowers are only ca 10mm in diameter with the petals split only 1/3 down.

The plants were less than 20cm as highest, at the location where I found them.

The one in my photos was only 10-12cm high and one of the few not swaying around much in the faint wind.

These little charmers are difficult to ID. The depth of the notching is important. Also the number of styles is important for the ID of either Cerastium or Stellaria.

Short review:

• The stigma which receives the pollen is at the end of a style (stalk) extending from the green lump (ovary) in the base of the flower which (Ovary becomes the future seed pod. (female)

• The pollen laden anthers are perched on a filament (thin stalk). (male)

I see 6 anthers in the photos above, but cannot see into the flower to count the number of styles. How many styles does it have? Cerastium usually has 5 styles. Stellaria usually has 3 styles.

When questioned, the gentleman anther-ed, "That lady has beautiful style. My filament's eager to pollinate. I'll stand by her stigma a while."

You did not hear this from me. It was mysteriously added to my post.

Thanks for the review and english botanical vocabulary.

I remembered alost all from the biology classes long ago, but then in Swedish.

This image from two days later show a bit more of the inside of the flower:

post-150-0-96710100-1526323933.jpg

If I get an opportunity to revisit the site soon enough I'll find the inside details of the flower.

Now I know what to look for.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a picture from 2018-05-20, of another individual of the same type of flower further into bloom.

I could not find the first one again.

The first flower in the original post grew ca 200m from this new one, in a more protected location.

post-150-0-78268300-1527619097.jpg

Here the anther-pairs has separated and their stems? are not bow shaped anymore.

Five styles in the center indicate genus Cerastium.

That is a nice photo. The petal has such interesting texture. It appears to be "ribbed".