UltravioletPhotography

Cardamine pratensis (Cuckoo flower)

Jim Lloyd

Cardamine pratensis (cuckooflower, lady's smock, mayflower, or milkmaids), is a flowering plant in the family Brassicaceae, native throughout most of Europe and Western Asia. The specific name pratensis is Latin for "meadow." Commonly found in the UK. Ref Wikipedia

The flower is distinctive for its very pale pink/lilac flowers - this one collected Northumberland UK, May 2018

Leaves shown here are not from this plant (actually of Garlic mustard), but added to give more interesting background. Maybe should redo ?

Can't find on this site - could I be the first !

D3200 full spectrum conversion

UG1 2 mm + BG40 2 mm for UV

BG40 only for visible

Photax 35mm f/3.5 old preset version with extension tube

f/16. Full Sunlight through window

WB and processing in Lightroom

ASA 200 20 s for UV / ASA 100 1/50 s for visible

post-175-0-83086200-1525449525.jpg

post-175-0-74305300-1525449536.jpg

Andrea B.

http://www.ultraviol...s-cuckooflower/

http://www.ultraviol...nother-example/

We have two entries for C. pratensis in the botanical section.

Jim, you're so close to already having a formal entry ready, why not just do it? Start a topic in Brassicaceae entitled:

Cardamine pratensis [Cuckoo Flower]: More Examples

Add your photos and data and then work on the editing to make it look like the existing formal entries. After you have done one, then you will see how easy it is. :D

No, if making a formal botanical entry don't add leaves from another plant! If other plants are naturally present in the photo, then that is of course OK.

I will move this to the Ultraviolet Photographs section. UVIR Experiences is more of a "Hi, here's what I've been doing since you saw me last" type of section. It's where I periodically post little notes and letters to all the members so that they can occasionally hear from Bjørn or me aside from answering questions.

Jim Lloyd

Thanks Andrea

l will do - honest :)

Not completely happy with the images - I think I will redo without leaves or the correct leaves.

Also wondering in the formal section, presumably you do't want too many examples just showing the same thing do you?

I was puzzled with the first photo as the foliage clearly is Allaria petiolata not Cardamine pratensis. Of course the flowers of these two species are subtly different, but you need to be familiar with both to recognise the difference.