UltravioletPhotography

Speaking of stupid moves.....and other stuff

Andrea B.

Andrea B.

I just went out to shoot the most beautiful Kwanzan Cherry in stunningly glorious bloom with the D5100-IR only to realize that its battery was on the way to Georgia in a KEH sale package of another camera.

Oh well.

We went straight from end-of-winter to summer here in my part of the East Coast US, but the spring blooming stuff has performed magnificently. I hope everyone is getting outdoors now in the Northern Hemisphere to make some lovely UV/IR photographs. And that our Southern Hemisphere friends are getting all nice and cozy indoors to work on their backlog of summer UV/IR photos. (Post 'em!!)

It's nice to see all the recent new members here on UVP. Again, welcome! I encourage everyone to continue participating in the conversations here on UVP so that I'm not the only one answering questions. (Sometimes I get tired of hearing my own voice!) We have all benefited so much from hearing about UVP members UV/IR experiences, seeing their test results and viewing their cool photos. Keep 'em coming!

A very nice picture.

I have a special soft spot for trees and their branches.

My FOV preference has mostly been towards the wide and really wide direction

It is a pure VIS, isn't it?

What lens and camera?

Andrea B.

That is a Visible photo made with the Sigma 8mm f/3.5 EX DG Fisheye, a very nice manual focus lens. The camera was a Nikon D750.

I was amused that the fisheye lens could place the entire tree on my left as I stood under it. The photograph was pushed in Photo Ninja because the backlighting darkened the beautiful color of the cherry blossoms.

This lens also sometimes captures an inner image ring of itself which circles the final image. I removed that in PS Elements with a circular cutout of the main part of the image.

Edit: Corrected D850 to D750.

Andrea B.

Here's an example of imaging the inner lens with the Sigma Fish 8/3.5. This doesn't happen every time, of course. The lens has a lens shade like a very short ring. This shade ring helps sometimes prevent the inner imaging, but you get a larger circle with the ring shade removed.

750_3471pn.jpg

I had bought that Nikon D750 used from Lens Rentals and was planning to convert it. I delayed the conversion because I was enjoying using the D750 so much. Such a great camera! Then I learned that it has the dreaded IR shutter monitor of the type which can cause contamination. So it's good that I didn't convert it. I had that contamination experience with my converted D700 a few years ago and did not want to have to again perform the tedious workaround needed to use a camera which can easily contaminate UV photos.

So anyway, periodically I sell excess cameras and had added the D750 to the sell list. Because as a mere mortal I can really only shoot one-camera-at-a-time and do not need three, D750, D810, D850. The rule is supposed to be that the minute I get a new camera, I sell the old ones. I am a bit behind on that !!

But I started thinking......wouldn't it be great fun to just put a special lens on that D750 and leave it there to make it easy to shoot anytime I wanted to? So I put the Sig Fish on the D750 in January and sure enough - it has been really fun to have a ready-to-go Fish Cam. I do absolutely feel guilty about the extravagance though. I'm thinking that if I admit it here in public, then I'll be embarassed enough to let this D750 go be sold. :D :rolleyes:

An image SOOC from the D750. From the series Distortions.

750_343001.jpg

Jim Lloyd

It's nice to see all the recent new members here on UVP. Again, welcome! I encourage everyone to continue participating in the conversations here on UVP so that I'm not the only one answering questions. (Sometimes I get tired of hearing my own voice!) We have all benefited so much from hearing about UVP members UV/IR experiences, seeing their test results and viewing their cool photos. Keep 'em coming!

I expect the 90:9:1 rule applies here as in other forums ?

Andrea B.

Thank you for the like3. :D

I don't know if the 90:9:1 rule applies? I've never collected any stats. On a larger photo forum (like nikongear.net) there is usually good participation because the whole purpose of membership is to post one's photos.