UltravioletPhotography

Nikon is putting out a new mirrorless body

Andy Perrin

enricosavazzi

Hopefully it will be interesting for pros and semi-pros, unlike the Nikon 1 attempt of a few years ago. At that time, Nikon made the fatal mistake of refusing to make a mirrorless camera that could compete with its own DSLRs. Unfortunately, this is exactly what users wanted, and as a result the series 1 never took off, and many users of Nikon DSLRs (including myself) switched to other brands that made better mirrorless cameras.

Hopefully, Nikon learned the lesson, but they have already lost several years and will face a much tougher competition. Now, barring the introduction of totally new technologies, the only real selling point of the Nikon mirrorless system over other mirrorless brands will be the ability to use the old Nikon lenses reasonably fast in AF mode. All mirrorless can already use Nikon-mount lenses in manual mode, so the new Nikon mirrorless will not be different from the rest in this respect.

Andrea B.

It will be very interesting, for sure. The key thing, I think, is whether Nikon will go with a new mount having a shorter flange focal distance or whether they stick with the old F/46.50mm FFD. If they go shorter then the camera + lens system could be smaller and that has huge appeal. But the drawback might be getting a new lens line up to speed. Old lenses of course will still be adaptable. That has always been a Nikon strength - that the old lenses can still be used.

I have no preferences for camera type, i.e., mirrorless versus DSLR. I have some of each. Both types work great for making digital photographs. Each system has its pluses and its minuses. I know its a matter of great debate, but then gear has always been debated. So you pick what suits you and who cares?!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I agree with Enrico that Nikon's mirrorless offering needs to satisfy the Pros to get anywhere. That Nikon 1 system was "cute" and quite nicely made, but I did not think the IQ was very good at all. I really tried to like it but did not. I absolutely hated that little micro card thingy.

I did keep the AW 1 for underwater shooting.....

......but please don't ask me how much underwater shooting I get to do with it. :wacko: