UltravioletPhotography

Practical question - bee vision

Jim Lloyd

I was trying yesterday to make my first "bee vision" image. I know there is a lot to discuss about what this really means, but I was just wanting to play around. As I understand the method in simple terms (I think I read Bjorn's post about this here somewhere), you put the monochrome UV image into the blue channel, the visible blue channel into the green channel and the visible green into the red. My question is a simple practical one - how do you actually do that in photoshop? I couldn't work out how to convert an image layer into a channel in a new image. I thought there was a simple way to do that, but couldn't find that. Any tips? Thanks.

Thanks Andrea! - that tutorial is so helpful!

This is my first attempt with Dandelion. I can see that I have slight misalignment between visible and UV. There is a LOT to read and think about here! - this is just my first quick stab at it!

post-175-0-75929400-1524935260.jpg

You can move one layer around over another and shrink/expand edges/corners with the Image Transform tools. Sometimes this gives a better fit if there was some misalignment between the Vis and the UV shot. And I think there are more advanced methods for fitting one object over its other version, but I only have the little Photoshop Elements not the big CS version.

I always have mixed feelings about magenta showing up in bee vision emulations. A Dandelion's yellow-reflecting, UV-absorbing center most likely appears green or yellow-green to a Bee. You might enjoy working with one of the UV+Blue+Green filters. But I digress..... :D

Hi Andrea - I agree about the magenta - doesn't quite feel right to me (just a gut feeling, I need to study this properly and read all the excellent information on this site)

Using the other method that Nico mentions - simply swapping UV for the visible red channel feels better to me:

post-175-0-93301200-1524944437.jpg

Getting alignment sorted is homework for another day !

Thanks Steve

Presumably that stack transmits uv + blue + green and blocks red and IR ?

And has the advantage of getting the image in one go, without having to worry about registration - do you have an example image ?

UV+Blue+Green Filter Stack: UG5 (1.5mm) + S8612 (3.0mm)

I was experimenting that day. You don't really need a blocker that thick.

f/16 for 1/2.5" @ ISO-400

D610-mod + UV-Nikkor 105/4.5

It doesn't come out of the camera looking like this, of course.

taraxacumOfficinale_ug5x150s8612x300_sun_20170414wf_1030pn01.jpg

Version 2

The Dandelion ray tips reflect both yellow and UV which is probably the colour "UVgreen"or "UVyellow-green" to the bee and quite an imaginary colour to us. I've chosen to represent it as follows. "-)

taraxacumOfficinale_ug5x150s8612x300_sun_20170414wf_1030pnBee6.jpg

Thanks Steve

Presumably that stack transmits uv + blue + green and blocks red and IR ?

And has the advantage of getting the image in one go, without having to worry about registration - do you have an example image ?

Yes, UG5 + S8612 is a mix of UV+Blue+Green. I recommend UG5 (U-330) 1.5mm + S8612 2mm.

You can use Hoya U-330 instead of Schott UG5. U-330 is half the price, and works the same.

If you want to include some visual red, then use UG5 (U-330) 1mm. You can also use UG5 (U-330) 2mm, that was what I originally used.

You can use BG39 2mm instead of S8612 2mm if that is all you have, they block the same Red/IR, but S8612 transmits more UV.

post-87-0-76888500-1524954395.jpg

UG5 1mm vs UG5 2mm stacks

post-87-0-65886600-1524954691.jpg

Rudbeckia, UG5 1.5mm + S8612 2mm

post-87-0-52640800-1524954737.jpg

Something interesting about the UG5+S8612 stacks is you can shoot hand held, as with these 18-55 VR kit lens shots below.

post-87-0-65847900-1524954890.jpg

post-87-0-41455300-1524955945.jpg

post-87-0-51810300-1524956186.jpg

Cadmium, I love that coastal scene. I'm not always magenta fan, but it works there. And also in the film sim.
Something I've observed with the UV+Blue+Green filters is that they require a lot of strong sunlight because the color goes off if you use flash. That could likely be figured out, but I haven't managed it yet, so always use them without flash. Perhaps someone else can offer some insights on this.

Cadmium, I love that coastal scene. I'm not always magenta fan, but it works there. And also in the film sim.

Andrea, No one likes magenta, it is almost the color of Pepto-Bismo, a product that may be colored to induce the need for the product... My own opinion.

Magenta doesn't exist in the rainbow, thus I think why it is somewhat of a dysphoric color.

Magenta is sometimes scene in objects, but I have noticed that when doing multitemporal composite shots (chronochromatic, chronological + chromatic/colors), many people tend to become ill with the presence of magenta.

Adjust the composite to remove instances of magenta, and the audience sticks around longer.

There defiantly seems to be some common psychological dislike of the color for whatever reason.

oh the Pepto-Bismol thing made me laugh! Speaking of which, I wonder what that stuff looks like in UV or UVIVF?

Oddly enough, a slightly dark magenta color does look nice when worn, on almost everyone. But in photographs, rugs, lipstick, throw pillows, hair color or in contrast with yellow -- well, ugh!

I don't mind magenta nearly so much when seen with blues and violets where it complements rather than startles. Like the dandelion foto above.